I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Friday, June 29, 2018

Review: The Price You Pay by Aidan Truhen

Title: The Price You Pay
Author: Aidan Truhen
Publisher: Knopf
Publication Date: July 10, 2018
Pages: 288 pages
Where to buy: Amazon
Stars: 3 stars

Summary: In this audacious, lightning-paced thriller, a smart-mouthed, white-collar drug dealer--a hilariously irreverent antihero--seeks revenge when an unknown enemy takes out a contract on him.

All is good in the life of Jack Price. His drug operation is the Amazon of cocaine trafficking, and no one can breach his complex security system. But then: His downstairs neighbor is professionally executed. That the murder is a sign for Jack becomes perfectly clear a few days later when he arrives home and is beaten to a bloody pulp by a squad of enforcers. Now revenge is on his mind, and he reaches out to his ex-Soviet associate. Unfortunately, she's just taken a gig with the Seven Demons, the most feared underground assassination squad in the world--and Jack is their next target. Anyone else would disappear as soon as they learned they were being targeted by the Seven Demons. But Jack Price cannot abide a betrayal. With the help of his contacts in a deep web network called Poltergeist, he fakes a getaway and begins scouting the Demons. He intends to take them out one by one...


Review:

I received this book for review. Once I got past all of the "I" statements it was a pretty great book. When your creative writing teachers drill that into your head to not start your stories out like that it kind of really shows up when reading other people's work. It was a little hard for me to get past I won't lie. The summary of the book is obviously what made me decide to review it. It kind of sounded a bit like something I've never heard of before and I was intrigued. I love a good mystery. Trying to figure out who killed your neighbor even if it's only because you are worried it was because they were after you. But this was just so hard for me to get into and trust me I got past the page of "I" statements. It could be because it's "Jack Price" telling the story and for me that is just not flowing for me. Due to me trying to push through the book I did not fly through this book. The guy is a total asshole, not one part of me wanted to root for him getting away from those assassins. I really wanted them to get him and torture him. The further into the book I got the worse it really got for me personally. I just hated him more. I continued to try to push through the book in hopes that it would get better or I would be able to stand him. I took a break and went to read some reviews to see what other people though. So far other reviewers seem to like it so I would say give it a shot. Check out some other reviews, just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean you won't like it. 

No comments:

Popular Posts