I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Friday, February 10, 2012

Interview: Bo Briar


Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
I was born in Hong Kong and spent my early years here and the rest of my life in the UK (mainly London). I have previously worked in public relations and in the editorial field as both editor and sub/copy editor. I have two young children and moved my young family back from the UK to Hong Kong a few years ago where we have now settled. My first priority is always to my children. I love travelling, writing, art, music, horses and food and drink.

What inspired you to write?
Boarding school inspired me. It was set in an early 18th century ex-stately home with over 300 acres of landscaped gardens and a glorious lake, set beside a forest which used to be part of the estate. The estate had been inhabited and owned by aristocratic families since the 12th century and the ruins of the old manor were both beside and at the bottom of the lake. It was both beautiful and spooky and I had quite a few eerie experiences there of a ghostly nature. I did think to myself I must write a spooky novel one day in a similar setting but wasn’t actually able to sit down and do it until I was much older.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
Classically the Bronte sisters and more modern-day, Anne Rice, a bit of James Herbert and a book by Paul Doherty.

What is your favorite quote?
I deny nothing but doubt everything. Lord Byron.

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
That’s a difficult question for me because I read mostly spooky scary books from fiction to true stories and reference books on the subject (ghosts and the paranormal). I also read a lot of biographies about fascinating historical women who have lived amazing but tragic lives. So as you can see, I wouldn’t want to jump in and live in their world but it’s great to read about it – and that includes my own book Morgan Hall!

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
A writer needs to have imagination, creativity and passion. A writer also needs to be very persistent.

Are your books different to your personal favorite books by other authors?
The story is of course different but I’ve always loved spooky, gothic, and ghostly tales.

What led you to writing in this genre?
As with one of my previous answers, boarding school led me to writing in this genre. Also throughout my life, since I was a child, I’ve had ghostly experiences.

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
Suddenly having the full story in my head. When all the pieces just naturally fit together and I think, “Wow!” – like an epiphany.

Least favorite part of the writing process?
Re-reading, checking then re-reading and checking all over again… and again… and again…

What are you currently working on?
I am working on the sequel to Morgan Hall and plan on creating a series. Like with Morgan Hall, the characters are passionate, dark, romantic, deep and intriguing. This time the story takes them from the UK up to the cold mountains of Switzerland and half way around the world to Hong Kong in the mystical East. I hope readers will allow me to take them on another intense journey to sumptuous, decadent and eerie locations in a spooky tale of mystery and intrigue.

Where can readers find you?
My website is still under design but please check back soon:

I also have an author’s page on my publisher’s website:

Please feel free to email me at:

LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
No, I think you’ve done brilliantly – but if you do have anymore questions for me just shout! Thanks for the interview…

No comments:

Popular Posts