I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Interview: Denise Main


Would you like to tell us a little about yourself? – I’m English, female, mother and in another life, I was quite an... adventurous, much younger person who tried and tested a few more boundaries than perhaps I should have. And I unashamedly had a good time – not that I’m not now, I must add! Now, I’m married with two (allegedly adult) sons. My husband is a writer, too and the whole family is self–employed. My youngest son sculpts in clay & wax and I help with the casting, painting and finishing bits – and do his books too. I have a real battle between right brain and left brain activities as times, math was never high on my skill list! Over the years, we’ve shared our house with a wide selection of non–humans and seemed to relate easier to them than bipeds!

What inspired you to write?
– I cannot remember a time when I wasn’t writing – or reading – or riding...see, I knew there was a reason I wasn’t good at maths – my versions of the ‘3R’s’ was reading, writing and riding! Problem solved, thank you, I might never have realised had you not kindly offered me the chance to answer these questions! I was a shy, horse–mad child and lived just over the field to a riding stable; add the 2 and that was me. Writing about ponies from the time I could hold a pencil and make it do what I wanted. And the fact I could write down my daydreams.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
When I outgrew westerns – I turned to horror stories and H.P. Lovecraft was a favourite, his writing style was completely unique and so incredible descriptive. So I think he was probably the first author to influence me, I can get carried away describing things – as my editors can probably attest! Then I found science fiction...I wasn’t back on earth for quite a while! I love Roger Zelazny and I think of all the great Sci–fi & fantasy writers, he influenced me most. Alan Dean Foster Bob McCammon Michael Moorcock, Tom Holt, comic books...Drat, I’m just looking at the bookshelves and realising this is an impossible question to answer – I think every author I’ve read has had some influence, be it good or bad. Everything I’ve read, and done, and seen is all grist to the mill – like the sum of all my parts!

What is your favorite quote?
– ‘Alrighty then’! I think it was a guy called Ace Ventura in some nature program.

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
– I’d love to be able to jump to different worlds – a bit like some of my characters can do – they walk the worlds. And I have to admit, I would like to live on some of the worlds I have (possibly) created. I love theoretical physics, cosmology and science at the moment – if you can imagine something who’s to say it’s not real. So, in reply to the question – I guess it would have to be Anraun – the main location on my newest release (Starstone) or even in Cold Day in Hell.

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do
? – Either experience or a good imagination! Preferably both! Oh, and a good supply of exclamation marks‼
Are your books different than your personal favorite books by other authors?
– Hopefully they are similar enough to be a great read, but different enough to be mine. Best of both worlds.
What led you to writing in this genre? – Oddly enough, it was just like my daydreams! Fantasy can hold a whole lot of facts, but in the end it's only restricted by ones imagination. Imagination is a boundless place – great for subject matter, you’re only restricted by your own mind.

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
– Oh, I’d have to say...all of it. I love every single bit.

Least favorite part of the writing process?
– Difficult, since I love all of it – I guess it would have to be...being rejected by agents. Yes, definitely that part!
What are you currently working on
? –The First in the Structure Chronicles, Starstone is released on 12/01/12, and I’m working on Morne, the Second in the Chronicles. That one runs concurrently with Starstone and still working on the sequel to Cold Day in Hell. In Structure series chronology – Cold Day in Hell would be about the fifth. Good place to locate your first novel, all the others can spread out from that point! Not that I’d actually planned it like that...sometimes daydreams just don’t respond to actual chronology.

Where readers can find you?
– Usually in front of a screen of some description! I have a part–time job with a Property Services company as well as working with my son and his business (can I say its name? Well, it’s MythCast, and some of the things we’ve done are on that website). I don’t get around well now, so I don’t do half as much as I used to – which is a drag – but what I do, I do in Stockport, UK, although I’m originally from a little village in West Yorkshire, and happily married to a wonderful Scottish guy!
LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn'
t? – Oh, sneaky! Pump the subject for questions to ask on the next interview – nice one! But, short of asking me if I’d like to be given loads of money and a book & movie deal, I’d have to say...nope

Thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to answer these questions – and ramble in the guise of giving an interview. It’s very much appreciated! And thank you to everyone who read it and the books I have written – without the readers there are no writers.
Denise M Main

No comments:

Popular Posts