I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Interview: G.R.. Holton


Would you like to tell us a little about yourself? On a warm summer morning in 1962, G. R. Holton was born in a small town in Massachusetts and is the second eldest in a family of eight children. He is happily married and living in eastern Tennessee. He has two daughters, a son, a step-daughter and a step-son and is also the proud grandfather of four beautiful girls. He uses his Bipolar Disorder and his dreams to fuel his stories. One night, after days of not being able to come up with a story to write, he had a dream of three teens on another planet and in a cave. This was it; he knew what had to be done. He sat down at the computer and over the course of three months he had written his first book, “Soleri”. He knew he couldn’t stop there, so he continued writing and “Guardians Alliance” was born. He has also published a children’s picture book called, “Squazles” about not judging others and did the book design for Cameron Titus’s “A to Z book: A Habitat for Humanity Project”. His latest, “Deep Screams”, is a science fiction/horror/paranormal thriller that has become the Books and Authors.net’s Best Science Fiction for 2011. G. R. has also won The Author’s Shows “50 Best Writers You Should be Reading for 2011”.

What inspired you to write?
G. R. took an interest in computer games to pass the time, and then one day he made a friend on one of those online games with chat that turned out to be a screenwriter and movie director. They became great friends and after a few weeks of talking, he met her husband online and hit it off quickly. He gave him a couple of his screenplays to read and he was hooked. He knew at that point he wanted to try writing.

What authors influenced you as a writer? I was never much of a reader but if I were to choose any authors they would have to be Isaac Asimov, Dean Koontz, and Stephen King.

What is your favorite quote? Well I actually have my own quote that is at the end of all my books and usually what I write when I am signing books. “I hope you enjoy reading my dreams as much as I had in dreaming them”.

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
I believe that a writer needs to have a lot of patience. I learned real quick when I started to write that you cannot rush your story. Give the story time to evolve and your characters to live.

Are your books different than your personal favorite books by other authors? I would have to say yes to that. Being that I have never had that reader mentality, my writing style is one of my own and not copied from any others.

What led you to writing in this genre? I have always been a science fiction lover. Anything to do with outer space, other worlds, and aliens. I would watch any show on television that had these in it. My two favorites where the original Star Trek and a show called Space 1999.

What is your favorite part of the writing process? My favorite part is easy. I love coming up with character names and worlds. I just sit back and let my mind wander.

Least favorite part of the writing process? Oh it has to be editing. I have a real hard time going over and over a story. I am a definite pantser writer and just write what comes to mind. Trying to go back and fix it always gives me fits. I say that the best thing is to make sure you have a great editor in your corner because they are worth their weight in gold!

What are you currently working on? I am working on a science fiction/fantasy called, “Dragon’s Bow”. It is about two twins born of a witch and a wizard (with a twist) and then upon their 16
th birthday, one is turned pure evil by the wizard. The only way to change her sister back is to kill the wizard with the Dragon’s Bow.

Where readers can find you? I have a website at
www.grholton.com and can also be found on Amazon, B&N, and many of the online book sales sights and of course on my publisher’s site www.worldcastlepublishing.com.

LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
I think you had some great questions. The only one would maybe be, “If you could have anything happen to your writing career what would it be?” I would say to have one of my books made into a movie. I have actually written the screenplay for “Soleri” and have it submitted on a national magazine that producers use to find new scripts. Being that when I started out writing I was actually not writing a book, but trying to write a screenplay, this would be a crowning acheivement.

No comments:

Popular Posts