I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Interview: Author of Curse of the Beast


Welcome to Jagged Edge!

Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
I love the water, and all of nature for that matter. I really enjoy hiking and absolutely love to read, Getting lost in different worlds is exciting for me. I have two little girls and a hubby that keep me busy.

What inspired you to write?
A bad ending. I was on the last book in a series I really got into and at the very end the love interest dies to save the girl!!! I was so distraught, I cried for days. I know emotional craziness, but it was intense for me. I got the tears out of my system and got mad instead. It was in that moment that I said, “I’m going to write my own book and have it be exactly what I want, AND end the way I choose.” Lol.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
I think every author I read influences me, but the really strong ones are Patircia Briggs, Tamora Pierce, Stephenie Meyer, Dave Farland, J.K. Rowling.

What is your favorite quote?
“It’s all good.” And “Never give up.” And one that embodies both of those is, “When the caterpillar thought life was over, it turned into a beautiful butterfly.”

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
Ok, the first thought I had was a mermaid story, but the one I most recently read had a whiny heroine so I can’t pick that one. So, I’m going to go with The Immortals series by Tamora Pierce. Why? Because talking to animals and shifting into them would be awesome! Plus, the guy she falls in love with is handsome and a powerful magician. Yup. I’m sold:-)


What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
Read. It is so important to read in your genre. Also, taking writing courses will help you know your craft. I do this yearly at writing conferences. They are awesome:-)

Are your books different than your personal favorite books by other authors?
Yes, and here is why. I think that other books we read will inspire or help us write certain scenes. However, my book is very different from my personal favorites. They might have certain elements that I admire from my favorite books like the need to keep tension on every page or to make sure my characters are dynamic, but I make my story my own.

What led you to writing in this genre?
I love to read YA. It is just a fun age where there are so many choices to be made, and I enjoy the stories of first loves.

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
When an idea for a story first hits me is an amazing moment. The possibilities open wide before me, and I get very excited.

Least favorite part of the writing process?
My least favorite part is also the most rewarding at the end. Editing. By the time I’m finished editing my manuscript for the fifth time, I’m ready to never see it again. Lol. But the work is so worth it in the end. And yes, I do pick them up again to read and enjoy the final product.

What are you currently working on?
I am currently working on Star Cursed, book 2, in the Curse of the Beast series. I’m hoping to have it out in December!

Where readers can find you?
My Blog: Creative Thoughts
Facebook
Curse of the Beast Page
Twitter
Goodreads

LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
Where can we buy Curse of the Beast?
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Smashwords.com


1 comment:

Angie said...

Nice interview. I liked learnng more about you, Ashley. Best of luck with your book!

Popular Posts