I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Monday, September 26, 2011

Interview With Carrie Lofty & Review (hopefully)

I do apologize if there is no review up with this post. I will post the review as soon as possible
Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?

I was born in California and raised in the Midwest. I met my husband while studying in my England for a year. He was my best souvenir! We have two elementary-aged girls, and two cats that would rather stare at a mouse than chase it.

After earning my master’s degree in history with a thesis on Old West legends, I set my sights on becoming a romance author. Since then I’ve published books set in England, Spain, Italy, Austria, and now South Africa. I’m always up for a new history challenge! And really, I like to travel from the comfort of my bedroom.

I enjoy running, kickboxing, bellydancing, and weight training, as well as science fiction programs such as “Doctor Who,” “Battlestar Galactica,” Aliens, and The Terminator. The heroines from the latter two films, Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor, inspired the pen name I share with Ann Aguirre. Together as Ellen Connor we write hot’n’dirty paranormal apocalyptic romances.

What inspired you to write?
There’s never been a time when I looked at the world and didn’t see a story that needed to be told. It’s an innate part of how I interpret emotions, how I cope with tragedy or the inexplicable, and how I process beauty. My one life is not enough for all of that breadth of feeling!

What authors influenced you as a writer?
The late 80s and 90s were my formative years as a romance reader. I loved Elizabeth Lowell, Janis Reams Hudson, Robin Lee Hatcher, Teresa Medeiros, Susan Wiggs, Candice Proctor, Laura Kinsale, Maggie Osborne, Megan Chance, and Penelope Williamson. That I’ve been able to meet and even become friends with some of these amazing women is one benefit to getting published that I never dared imagine!

But I also love the lush language found in literary fiction by the likes of Helen Dunmore, Tracy Chevalier, and Geraldine Brooks . For pure “Shock me, baby!” storytelling, I love Frank Herbert, Ray Bradbury, and the amazing Ian McEwan. His book, Atonement, is my favorite of all time.

What is your favorite Quote? Why is it your favorite?
“I love you with so much of my heart that none is left to protest.” ~ Beatrice to Benedick in Act IV of Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing

It’s just so direct, so elegant, so utterly romantic. That moment when love become all-consuming. I melt!

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier. To study history and write books in rural France? With a seductive piano-playing librarian Frenchman as my lover? For the rest of my life?? Yes, please!!

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
Every writer, no matter what genre or level of professional achievement, needs a support group--be that a spouse/partner, family members, close friends, other writers, or very attentive cats. It’s essential! The industry is about money, while the books we write come from the heart. There’s bound to be painful overlap on occasion. We need permission to make mistakes, have doubts, and be human. No better place to do that than within a supportive circle.

Are your books different to your personal favorite books by other authors?
I tend to think my books are lighter on actual plot--for example, I’m constantly in awe of mystery and romantic suspense writers--but really heavy on character development and emotional turmoil. There are times I need a heavy hit of that from my favorite writers, but often I cannot take the overload when I’m actually writing. Then I turn to Victoria Dahl’s contemporaries, Laura Griffin’s romantic suspense, or Megan Hart’s erotic novels for a distinct change of mental pace.

What lead you to writing in this genre?
I began studying history at age ten when I became obsessed with the Lincoln assassination. Then came the Pony Express and all things western. After my thesis, I realized how much history there was to study and greatly expanded my horizons. That I’ve always been a tremendous romantic…well, writing historical romance just made sense.

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
Playing shrink to my characters. I love figuring out what they’re missing in their lives, and how their relationship fills in those missing pieces. The yin-yang of all things romance. An energetic optimist who needs grounded in reality meets a calm, more serious partner who could use a shot of spontaneity. They fit! So figuring out those dynamics is my favorite part. I could theorize for ages!

Least favorite part of the writing process?
That moment during the first draft when I’m convinced it’s the dullest piece of poop ever written. That pervading sense of doom generally lasts until I give the draft a break and come back to it. Then it’s a surprise--every time, I kid you not--that I wrote something that might be worth reading.

What are you currently working on?
Just this month I sold another book to Pocket, currently titled WRAP YOUR TROUBLES IN DREAMS, set in WWII England. It’s a real, true, genuine historical romance, which really hasn’t been done in this setting. Needless to say I’m incredibly excited! Hopefully that will be available late in 2012. I’ll have an excerpt up on my website ASAP.

The third in Ellen Connor’s “Dark Age Dawning” trilogy, titled DAYBREAK (http://ellenconnor.com/books/daybreak/), comes out in December. Ann and I are so thrilled to see the conclusion of this storyline. It was so much fun to be a part of!

And lastly, I have two more in the Christies saga coming out in 2012: a digital novella, and a second full-length novel titled STARLIGHT. You can read more about both here: http://www.carrielofty.com/books

Where readers can find you?
Readers can follow me on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/carrielofty), like my author page on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/AuthorCarrieLofty), and visit my website (http://www.carrielofty.com). And don’t forget Ellen Connor’s website! (http://www.ellenconnor.com)

LAST QUESTION:
Was their a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
What chocolate bar do you have in your backpack right this moment?

Lindt Lindor Truffles Extra Dark. I’m saving it for tomorrow when I’m taking the afternoon off to watch Tom Hardy in WARRIOR. Bring on chocolate and shirtless men fighting. Ahem. It’s so obvious now that I needed to leave academia in favor of romance!

No comments:

Popular Posts