I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Review: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares


Title: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
Author: Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: October 2010
Reviewer: Elisa

Review: New York during Christmas. Two 16 year olds getting to know each other through a red moleskin notebook. So adorable. Of course, I have never known anyone in my life who uses so many large words, but it was great. I really enjoyed it.

But it is a pretty cute boy meets girl in a strange and fascinating way. I haven't read Nick & Norah, but saw the movie and you can tell it is written by the same authors because a couple of phrases are the same, but I LOVED that movie, so that was good for me! :)

Dash is the broody, snarly looking boy who prefers hanging around books than people. When he gets Lily's dares, they force him to go places he would NEVER go.

"If I hadn't appreciated her sadism, I would've headed straight for the hills." (pg 33)

Lily is cute, funny and not broody at all. Dash sends her to the movies alone and she thinks about her favorite times at the movies are surrounded by family.

"The best is when we all go at once, like an army of interrelated popcorn zombies who laugh the same laughs and gasp the same gasps and aren't so germ-phobic with each other that we won't share a ginormous Coke with one straw."

But even though they sort of seem like opposites, as you get to know them, and they get to know each other, it is so heartfelt and adorable - even though they are cynical teens. Love it! The book talks about how the notebook allows them to get to know each other, but does it let them know the "real" people, or the "in your head perfect" other person? You know, the reason our book boyfriends are always perfect, in our heads they always will be!

It is a young adult chick-lit type book I guess, which is super readable, lots of fun and throws in a million large words by precocious, bookish teens. I recommend for when you want something easy and enjoyable with a hidden warmth, some Christmas "cheer" and to remember young love. It was just what I needed, so I give it 4 stars, floating in a mug of peppermint schnapps enhanced hot chocolate.

No comments:

Popular Posts