I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Interview with Ghost Island Author

Book buying available – Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Smashwords
 The next blog stop: December 29 – Breathing Books http://diaryofacambridgestudent.wordpress.com



Bonnie Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
I’m a former newspaper editor who began as a copywriter for one of the country’s largest rock radio stations. I’m the author of six thrillers for MIRA books, a three-book young adult astrology series, and my newest, GHOST ISLAND. I also mentor and teach authors, which gives me a great deal of satisfaction.

What inspired you to write? I was born knowing that’s what I was supposed to do. I won my first writing contest—25-words-or-less; why I serve Coke at my parties—when I was in the fourth grade.

What authors influenced you as a writer? Poe was the first, then Shirley Jackson. Joan Didion is still one of my favorite authors. Her books set in California define so much of the lifestyle here. I also love the work of Walter Mosley and Larry Watson. That may seem an odd mix, but not if you remember that all of these writers have strong, original voices.

What is your favorite quote? “If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you might as well make it dance.” That’s Shaw. Isn’t it wonderful? It kind of explains my philosophy of writing.

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be? I love to visit different worlds in books, but I wouldn’t want to live in any of them.

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do? Every writer needs a sense of humanity. Next to that, I would say honesty, an ability to look at oneself.

Are your books different than your personal favorite books by other authors? I write many different types of books, so probably, but not by design.

What led you to writing in this genre? My current book is a paranormal love story, and I wrote it because I really wanted to write about love, and about what we are willing to do for love.

What is your favorite part of the writing process? I love it all even when I hate it. The first draft is probably the most fun, even though I’m riding the bicycle up the mountain.

Least favorite part of the writing process? Trying to second-guess myself in the editing process. Hoping that I’ve written as honestly as possible.

What are you currently working on? A novel set in the past.

Where readers can find you? I’m on Facebook as Bonnie Hearn Hill, and my website is www.bonniehhill.com. I answer all e-mail, and I hold frequent book giveaways on Facebook.

LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't? Perhaps advice for those who wish to write. My advice is always to turn off that editor brain and write your passion. You can fix anything but a blank page, and passion is the one element you can’t edit in later.

Thanks so much for hosting me today.


1 comment:

Popular Posts