I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Writing Tips for Aspiring YA Authors Guest Post



Thank you for having me on your blog to talk about writing tips for aspiring YA authors. After

writing my first novel, I learned quickly that becoming an author isn’t just about writing a good

book. I’ve included a list of 10 things I’ve learned over the years.

1. It is important to write what you love and it will show through your work.

2. Keep improving your craft and writing stories, even if you are in the query or submission

process. Just like anything else in life, the more you practice the better you get.

3. Find a critique partner and beta readers who are going to look at your work with a critical eye

and be open to making changes to your manuscript.

4. Read, read, read!!

5. Create a facebook “like” page for your writing and sign up for a twitter account so that you

can start making connections within the reading and writing community.

6. Establish a domain name and set up a website to highlight your writing and give potential

readers information about your books and yourself as a writer. Also, include your contact

information, including an e-mail address and links to your facebook, blog, and twitter addresses.

7. Use blogging sites like Wordpress or Blogger to create your own blog.

8. Stay open to anything. Even though I’m represented by an agent, I am also self-publishing

a series. I think authors are starting to dip their feet into both the traditional and self-publishing

worlds. The industry is ever-changing.

9. Getting published is a marathon, not a sprint, unless you get really lucky. Get your name out

there. With social media there are so many connections you can make in the reading/writing

world. I love talking with other writers, readers and bloggers. I learn so much from them and feel

like I’ve made wonderful friendships and gained an invaluable support system.

10. Most of all, never give up on your passion to write. There is no better feeling than sharing

your stories with others.

No comments:

Popular Posts