I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Interview with Anna White


Thanks for hosting me at Jagged Edge today!

Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
When I was a kid I wanted to be a missionary or an astronaut. (I’m neither.) I love kids, chocolate, and the outdoors. Not necessarily in that order. I read a lot more than I write, and I write a lot more than I clean. My favorite days are when my family goes out by the water-I find my thoughts line up a little better out there.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
I’ve been most influenced by other women with children that manage to find a way to chisel books out of the chaos of their lives. I read about someone like Stephanie Meyer, and although I am a big Twihard, it’s the fact that she wrote that between swim meets and at night while her kids were asleep that impresses me most.

What is your favorite quote?
Love Wins

If you could jump in a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
Definitely Hogwarts. I daydream about having the ability to apparate from place to place. Using spells to do the cooking and cleaning at my house sounds pretty awesome too.

What is at least one thing every writer needs to have or do?
Every writer needs to have thick skin and be brave. Even the greatest books in the world aren’t universally loved, so every writer needs to be ready to weather some criticism and rejection. 

Are your books different than your personal favorite books by other authors?
Most of the books I love share some common elements. I really like smart, strong girls and guys that are a little dark and conflicted, but ultimately protective and driven. The beauty of books is that the same themes and elements are made different in the hand of every writer, and I hope I’ve managed to make them my own as well.

What led you to writing in this genre?
I’ve always loved to read, but I really started reading YA when I was teaching 5th grade. I think YA books are some of the best things being published today. I like how they’re fast paced and hit all the big issues head on.

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
Finishing the first draft! In that moment there’s so much work being me, and although there’s still lots of work to come it’s a great feeling of accomplishment.

Least favorite part of the writing process?
Getting started. I write off an outline, so by the time I’m ready to write my first draft I have things pretty well mapped out, but those first few chapters are still tough.

What are you currently working on?
I’m currently working on Divide the Darkness, the sequel to The Light and Fallen.

Where can readers find you?
I’m on Facebook and Twitter under the name AnnaWhiteWrites. I also blog at http://annawhitewrites.blogspot.com and I post what I’m reading over on Goodreads. My book, The Light and Fallen, is available on Amazon.

Was there a question you wish I would’ve asked but didn’t?
I wish you would’ve asked about The Water Project. Proceeds from my book go to this nonprofit that builds wells in Africa. They’re a great organization, and when I read about their upcoming projects I feel so very blessed. I can’t imagine spending hours a day bringing water for my family. 

1 comment:

Small Blonde Hippy said...

This is a really insightful interview. And I'm with you on the Hogwarts thing!

Popular Posts