I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Sunday, January 6, 2019

Excerpt: Words We Don't Say by K.J. Reilly

I got to pick one out of about six excerpts and this one was among one of the shorter ones. It seems rather unfortunate to me. However this one really spoke to me and I absolutely love it. It makes me even more excited to read the book and I hope it does the same for you too, if you haven't already read the book. Words We Don't Say by K.J. Reilly will by included in the giveaway coming up on 1/8. Don't forget to come back and check it out!



Title: Words We Don't Say
Author: K.J Reilly
Publisher: Hyperion
Publication date: October 2018

Excerpt:
.  .  . I was thinking a lot about what Mr. Morgan was saying about free speech being something we should protect even if that meant that sometimes we had to hear stuff that made us uncomfortable and how lucky we were to be able to read whatever we wanted to read whenever we wanted to read it even if that only meant sitting on the curb and reading a book out loud to a man who has a Purple Heart that came with delusions and a heartbreak of an illness that nobody could fix.
When the cop car pulled up I was at the part where Christopher Robin is explaining to Pooh that you don’t get honey with balloons. The cops came over and Mrs. T came out to talk to them. Then the Colonel and Spindini came outside and sat down next to us on the curb. I was reading the part where Pooh Goes Visiting and Gets Into a Tight Place when the ambulance pulled up with its lights on but no siren. The paramedics were really cool and they asked Rooster’s permission to look at the cut on his face and I kept reading as they cleaned up the wound and they kept asking Rooster if they could do this or do that without me even pausing to let them talk. I was at the part where Pooh gets stuck in Rabbit’s hole when Eli came outside and I kept reading as one of the paramedics told Rooster that the cut didn’t need stitches, so they were going to put a big butterfly bandage across it and they told him that they used antibiotic cream so it would heal better and I was at the part where all Rabbit’s friends and relations went head-over-heels backward to pull Pooh free from the entrance to Rabbit’s house and Eli was sitting on the curb next to Spindini at this point and when the paramedics were done one of them, a big guy with a shaved head, told Rooster he did two tours of duty in the “sandbox,” which he said, for those of us who didn’t know, was Iraq. He said he was a Navy hospital corpsman, which is a medic in the Marines. Then he said he never read Winnie-the-Pooh and one of the cops said, “Are you fucking kidding me, man?” And then the cop said his favorite part was near the end when Piglet Does a Very Grand Thing and I said that my favorite part was the beginning because it’s as far as it can be from being over. And then he asked Rooster if he could do anything for him like give him a ride to a shelter and I was wondering why things like this weren’t in the police blotter. I mean, come on.
Rooster didn’t say anything, he just got up and took his cart, and all of us, me and Eli, and the cops and the paramedics, and Spindini and the Colonel, and Mrs. T just stood there watching as he walked away with the butterfly bandage and antibacterial cream figuring that we all did what we could even though we were all wishing like hell that we could have done more. Maybe even a Very Grand Thing, like heroically pulling someone who was stuck out of a very tight place.

No comments:

Popular Posts