I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Monday, February 4, 2019

Interview with Summer Warner

Welcome to Jagged Edge Reviews! Thanks for joining us today. Now we thought we would start you off with some easier questions. ☺ 

When you walk into a bookstore, where is the first place you go?
I tend to head straight for the new releases, usually because they’re staring right back at me! I also love to explore the booklover knick-knacks that you so often find in bookstores. For instance, someone got me Emily Dickinson tea for Christmas! How cool is that?

What are you currently reading?
My TBR pile is a little excessive. I’m usually in the middle of more than one book at a time! Right now, I’m focused on finishing The Lonely City by Olivia Laing, a choice from Florence Welch’s book club, Between Two Books. I love Florence, and I think a lot of us can relate to the feelings of loneliness expressed in the book. My next focus will be Darius the Great Is Not Okay. I’m excited to start that one.

Who are your favorite authors?
I’ve loved Daphne du Maurier’s books since I was a teenager. I also adore Barbara Kingsolver, Sophie Kinsella, Nick Hornby, Carrie Fisher, and lately, Fredrik Backman. He’s an incredible storyteller.

Have you always wanted to be a writer?
I always joke that I could write before I could talk. When I was really young, like around 3, I used to cut pictures out of magazines to make collages that told stories. It was like The Sims, but with magazine and catalog pictures. I made up this family of characters and created their whole backstory. My mom taught me cursive, and I started writing little stories about my characters in cursive before I ever even started school. I was a wildly imaginative child.

When you’re not writing, how do you spend your time?
I’ve worked with kids in some form since I was in high school. Right now, I substitute teach for multiple districts. The flexibility is perfect for my writing schedule, as I also freelance write. I’m into truly anything artistic - theatre, painting, music, singing, film, and yoga. I’m someone who really benefits from yoga. Personally, I’m married, and we’re hoping to adopt. My spouse and I also love to travel. I’m dreaming of a trip to Europe sometime soon.

Tell us about your latest book.
Dancing to Songs About Death is a collection of poetry and prose published by Electric Punch Press, my own indie publishing press. I came up with the title after listening to a Bastille song called “Good Grief,” and realizing I was quite literally dancing to a song about death. I was really struck by that song. I’m a cautious, fearful person. Anxiety is sort of woven into the fabric of who I am, and it’s been that way since I was young. I wanted to write a book that chronicled my journey from childhood to now, in my late 20s, and that’s what Dancing to Songs About Death is meant to be. Each chapter is based around a different fear, health anxiety and the fear of death being some of those. Like anyone, I think, I stand in awe of death. There are also poems and stories about my experiences with anxiety and panic attacks, my relationships, my childhood dreams, my parents, and how it all connects to who I am at this point in my life.

Did you design the cover? 
No, it was designed by a graphic designer in the UK named Larch Gallagher. Her cover is exactly how I pictured the book. It actually kind of freaked me out the first time I saw it, it was so perfect. You can check out her amazing designs here: https://larchgallagher.weebly.com

Who inspires you?
I’m someone who is very inspired by music. I wanted my book to be like an album of visual words. Bastille’s Good Grief and Arcade Fire’s Funeral album greatly inspired this book. I actually made a whole playlist to go along with the book on Spotify!
In the acknowledgements part of the book, I specifically credit Florence Welch, Stevie Nicks, and Carrie Fisher for their inspiration. I adored Carrie Fisher. Her death devastated me. There’s actually a poem in my book about her, it was that traumatic.  And, Florence — her Ceremonials album was another huge influence, and I really wish I knew how to give her a copy of the book. I went to her concert in Nashville and thought about tossing it onto the stage — I was close enough — but then I had this terrible fear that she’d trip over it or it would hit her in the face or something. Can you imagine? So, I decided against it. Then, I got on Instagram and saw where she posted about someone giving her a book. I was like, seriously? Haha. Maybe it would have been okay! I’m also inspired by Sylvia Plath, Virginia Woolf, Mary Oliver, Anais Nin, and Emily Dickinson.

What are your thoughts on self-publishing versus traditional publishing?
If you had asked me years ago if I would’ve considered publishing through my own press, I would’ve said no. I was too scared. I still wonder if I made the right decision — I’m sure many indie authors do. But, times are changing. The hardest part about self-publishing, for me, is the promotion aspect. Traditionally published authors must engage in this, too, but it’s certainly easier to promote your book when you’re with a major house than when you’re with your own, at least in my experience. However, I did love the freedom of being able to choose my own cover designer, decide on my own layout, and so on. There is much more creative control.

What is one of your favorite quotes?
So many, but this one from Macbeth always gets me: “Out, out, brief candle! Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Where are some places a reader can purchase your book?
It’s available almost anywhere books are sold. Because it’s indie, it’s in some physical stores and libraries, but not in others. It’ll vary by location. The best thing to do is to visit the website of your favorite retailer and order through them. And, please do leave a review! Reviews are so important to writers, especially indie writers.

Have you written anything else? What are your current projects?
This is my first published book, but I did write a published short story back in 2017 for a contest that a local NPR affiliate was having. It made it into the finals, and was published on their website, which was awesome. It’s called Those Who Question, and I’ve thought about expanding upon it and including it in a future book of short stories. I’m also in the process of writing a book about a girl who lost her mother after childbirth and is looking to find herself, so to speak. I write a lot of books about death, I guess! And, of course, I’ve been a freelance writer since I was a teenager, so I’ve written a lot of random blogs and articles for clients. I’ve also contributed to The Mighty as a mental health writer.

Where can people find out more about you and your writing?
I’m fairly active on Instagram, @swauthor, and less active on Twitter. I’m also on Goodreads. I do have a website with a blog that is currently summerwarner.com, but it’ll be going through some changes soon, so the address may change. I’ll keep everyone updated on Instagram. 

No comments:

Popular Posts