I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Review: Morgue to Love by Megan Montgomery

Title: Morgue to Love
Author: Megan Montgomery
Publication date: August 24th, 2021
Stars: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Summary: Dr. Smythe is the youngest, Medical Examiner in Nashville, Tennessee, only I didn't know it last night when she was between my legs and just Soula.

This morning, we meet again as our careers cross paths and if I wasn't concentrating on not spilling my guts from the nasty fumes of this D.O.A., it'd be awkward as hell.

Our eyes meet over the autopsy table...
...ahem...
...cough...
...the autopsy table absolutely covered in melted, gooey human remains that are long past recognizable...

I open my mouth to speak. The name, Soula, is right there on my tongue.
Unfortunately, so is the stench (and taste) of putrescine.

When I wake up on a scratchy, tweed couch with a pounding headache, Soula's handing me something steamy in a Dolly Parton mug. She's just as beautiful in her light green scrubs as she was naked in my bed last night, but her expression is clear—she wants nothing more to do with me.

But I want everything to do with her.

Review: I kind of love that Soula is sometimes telling the story and kind of hate it. But I love Soula with my whole heart she is definitely a strong female lead. I read somewhere that to love the MC is to love thrillers which I do and I think that is why this book is perfect for me. For example in Bones I really connect with Bones because human emotion and conversation is difficult to her but you talk to her about when, where and what happened to the bones and she speaks volumes. I am like that, I am the most awkward person to talk to but if you're talking about something that interests me I am a whole other person. Some parts of this book made me feel dumb. For example the author used "ubiquitous", I had no idea what it meant looked it up, it's ambivalent. Somethings felt over explained, somethings seemed to jump around. I read so many books that I don't generally remember the summary so I didn't know Soula's name so the chapter titles threw me for a bit of a loop. I was about 14% in when I realized I had been reading it wrong. I am not a big fan of Waylon. In his mind  he seems to think he is kind and honest. Honestly he just seems like a bit of a stick in the mud, a prick and a tad narcissistic. I'm really torn on how to score this book, I really love Soula and I understand her family issues. But my patience was running rather thin with the book and I just kind of just wanted to be done. I'm not sure if it was due to the book or the previous bad books I had read. 

No comments:

Popular Posts