I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Book Theif

Author: Markus Zusak
Series: ---
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Publication Date: September 11, 2007
How Received: Borrowed
Rate: 5+

Summary:
 It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .
Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.
This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

 
My thoughts:
I absolutely adore this book! The Book Thief is told from Death’s perspective, and tells the tale of a young girl named Liesel Meminger, who is growing up during World War II. This story made me cry at so many points, but I couldn’t put it down. Seeing her have to leave her mother and brother, and then go to a new family, was very tough. But I really loved Liesel’s foster parents - they were both extremely caring and out of this world with the amount of love and affection that they showered her with. There was also a young, innocent romance between Liesel and the local neighbourhood boy Rudy , which was very, very sweet, and I truly wanted it to last forever. The parts where Death would pause from the story and claim souls were very interesting and at the same time extraordinarily heart-wrenching. One of the best things about this book, though, was that it combined humor and heartbreak, love and hate, and destruction and life effortlessly. Written with beautiful, lyrical prose, Zusak has succeeded in bringing an astounding novel into the world, and I highly recommend picking up The Book Thief today.
5+/5
~Moujnir

5 comments:

Anne Tibbets said...

My favorite book of all time. Nice review!

Anonymous said...

Great review! I really love World War 2 stories.

Moujnir23 said...

Thanks Anne!!! The Book Thief is definitely one of my favorite books of all time as well! :D

Colleen, thank you very much! I have a tendency to love stories about War World II as well; they are very raw and heartbreaking, and yet they have so much hope. I think thats why I like them so much. :)

~Moujnir

DMS said...

Fabulous review! This is one of my favorite books! I read it last year and just loved it! The author does an amazing job with the characters and the story.

~Jess

Lucie said...

I want to read it very badly...
Thanks for the review,
Lucie

Popular Posts