I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Interview


Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
Sure! I’m a new British indie author of erotica and dark romance and have just released my second novella ‘The House on Hundred Hill’ (Book One of The Nephilim series), which follows the story of Jessica Rylan, a woman discovering her own dark desires, and the handsome Nephilim brothers: Draven and Nate Black.

My first novella ‘His Elle’, a story of an intense BDSM love affair, was released in January of this year and has been more of a success than I ever thought possible. After receiving my first few five star reviews for it, it really inspired me to continue writing, despite being diagnosed with a chronic pain condition that affects my wrists and fingers. I’d just like to thank whoever invented speech recognition software!

What inspired you to write?
I’m not sure that anything really did inspire me to write. Every time I am asked this I find it such a tricky question to answer.

I’ve always been a story-teller in one form or another, and have been writing stories ever since I was a child. I think it was simply a desire I was born with, like some are born Scientists or are fascinated with numbers or colour. I’ve always just been good at putting pen to paper. At any one time I can have a dozen stories forming in my head, but I’ve learned the hard way to do one thing at a time. My mother really wishes that I’d write something that she could show her friends, but I’m not sure that’s going to happen anytime soon.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
I have many favourite authors but I have my own style of writing (quite dark and emotional, or so I’m told) and none of them have particularly inspired me in that sense. I think there are more that have inspired me as a reader, such as Anais Nin, George Orwell, Harper Lee, Joanne Harris, Stephen King, Paulo Coelho, Sue Townsend, JK Rowling (too many to list!), but I also LOVE indie authors as they bring something utterly fresh and exciting to the table. I have read so many amazing indie’s since becoming a part of the twitter/blogger network and most of my indie faves really do rival the work of some top selling mainstream authors.

What is your favorite Quote? Why is it your favorite?
The moral high ground is a nice place to visit, but don’t build a house on it.”
It’s my favourite ever quote as it’s something my dad said to me at a time in my life where I really needed his advice and support. I think it will stay with me forever.

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
Oh, hard choice! There are so many fictional worlds that I’d like to live in - some more adult than others! It would come down to a choice between the Harry Potter books or the Sookie Stackhouse series. Two utterly different worlds but both with that magical element. I’d love to have special powers of some sort.

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
Self-belief. That’s it.

Are your books different to your personal favorite books by other authors?
Yes very! I write in a genre that’s quite niche, and both books I have written have a very adult BDSM element. Since starting to write in this genre, I have started to read more authors that write in the same. I love the work by Kitty Thomas and Tymber Dalton as they both take you on a darker emotional ride and I love the psychological trail that they both craft so expertly.

What lead you to writing in this genre?
Now that’s a long story. Let’s just say that my novella ‘His Elle’ was inspired by the lifestyle choice of an old friend. If I said any more than that then I’d probably get sued! However, ‘The House on Hundred Hill’ is purely fictional, unless you know of any gorgeous 7ft tall Nephilims? If you do, then pass on my number…

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
The part where the story really comes together and all that’s left is to just write your fingers off. I hate the planning stage, and it is probably going to lead to my downfall but I’m simply not organised enough in my thought process to sit and plan out every detail of a story.

Least favorite part of the writing process?
Haha, as I’ve just mentioned - the planning stage.

What are you currently working on?
The second book in the Nephilim series, as a follow on to The House on Hundred Hill. I hope to have it ready for release by spring 2012.

Where readers can find you?
All over the internet…

LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
No, but thank you so much for having me on your awesome blog, I really appreciate it

No comments:

Popular Posts