I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Interview with Derrolyn

Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
Hello everyone! My name is Derrolyn, I’m a 2011 debut author, and the creator of the “Marina’s Tales” series. My first book, “Between The Land And The Sea”, introduces my heroine, Marina, and the surprising connection she has to certain supernatural sea creatures. Her story continues on in “The Moon And The Tide”, whereupon her secret is revealed, putting her newfound family into jeopardy. In book three, “The Fate Of The Muse”, Marina begins to come to terms with her place in the world and her purpose in life.
In the midst of all the upheaval, Marina falls for gorgeous surfer Ethan, and together they contend with the ups and downs of first love.

What inspired you to write?
I’ve always been a visual artist, but it wasn’t until the summer of 2010 that I started to seriously write. I was probably crazy to even attempt it, and its definitely been one of the most difficult, challenging, and yet rewarding things I’ve ever done… And I’ve given birth to twins without painkillers!

What authors influenced you as a writer?
I grew up reading lots of books by James Michener, Steven King, and Taylor Caldwell. I don’t think I write much like them though!

What is your favorite Quote? Why is it your favorite?
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light." — Dylan Thomas

I love the idea of fighting on to the bitter end. The beauty of writing as a discipline is the continual struggle to improve, and like painting, my greatest piece of work is always coming up next!

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
I’ll have to write that book and get back to you!

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
Stubborn persistence.

Are your books different to your personal favorite books by other authors?
Yes, my stories are light, sweet romances, with a little paranormal drama mixed in.

What lead you to writing in this genre?
Reading my three daughter’s books. I’d fallen out of the habit of reading anything outside of newspapers and magazines, when I picked up Harry Potter to see what all the fuss was about. I think the magnificent J.K.Rowling reminded the whole world how amazing and sophisticated “children’s” literature could be.
There are so many great YA books being written nowadays; and they’re definitely not only for teenagers!

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
The sudden flashes of inspiration that send me racing, usually soaking wet out of the shower, to my laptop.

Least favorite part of the writing process?
Waiting around for those moments to arrive!

What are you currently working on?
I’m writing book #4 in the “Marina’s Tales” series, “The Turning Tides”.

Where readers can find you?



LAST QUESTION:
Was their a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
Nope… But does anyone wanna take a mermaid poll? Derrolyn's Mermaid Poll


1 comment:

roro said...

great intrview, won book1 and2 will read them soon

Popular Posts