I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Killer's Cousin

Author: Nancy Werlin
Series: ---
Publisher : Speak
Publication Date: February 19, 2009
How Received : Borrowed
Rate: 5

Summary:
 Recently acquitted of murder, seventeen-year-old David has moved to Massachusetts to complete his senior year of high school. His aunt and uncle have offered him shelter—escape from the media's questions and from the uncertain glances of his neighbors and ex-friends.
His attic apartment doesn't feel much like a shelter, though. He sees ghostly shadows at night, his aunt is strangely cold, and his eleven-year-old cousin, Lily, is downright hostile. And as Lily's behavior becomes more and more threatening, David can't help wondering why. What ugly secrets lurk within the walls of Lily's home?
There's one thing David knows with certainty. The more he learns about his cousin Lily, the harder it is to avoid thinking about his own past. 


My thoughts: 

The Killer’s Cousin is an absolutely amazing book. It kept me up all night, to the point where I had to read it - finish it - because the mystery was honestly scaring the heck out of me, and I had to see it resolved. The story is told from the viewpoint of David, who, at the beginning of the book, informs us that he killed his girlfriend. After standing trial, he is forced to go live with his Aunt and Uncle, and their daughter, Lily. She’s amazing in her ability to annoy David. But she’s not your average eleven year old, and David soon realizes that she’s hiding something - something that could be the answer to her scary, abnormal behavior - a secret that is truly terrifying. Now, I can’t write this review without mentioning Frank Delgado, the ‘skinhead’ who befriends David quickly, and who’s open mind makes David realize that people can - and do - still care about him. I also have to say that Raina, David’s love interest, also helped him accept that he could still have a life, that he could still move on. Werlin has captured me once again with her amazing storytelling, ; The Killer’s Cousin will haunt you long after you turn the last page. A must read.
5/5
~Moujnir

1 comment:

DMS said...

What a review! I am intrigued! The title alone sounds interesting- but your review really makes me want to read this book. It is nice to get your hands on a book you can't put down!

I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

Take care-
Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens and I can't fix it. :)

Popular Posts