I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Interview with Cynthis Sally Haggard


Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
I'm Cynthia Sally Haggard, author of THWARTED QUEEN. I was born and raised in Surrey, England but have lived in the US for 30 years. Yes, I am related to H. Rider Haggard, author of SHE and KING SOLOMON'S MINES.

What inspired you to write?
It was a complete accident. I was making a transition from bench scientist to science writer and I signed up for some creative writing courses to improve my prose. I became hooked on creative writing.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
Since I write historical novels, I was influenced mainly by other writers of the genre. People like Phillippa Gregory, Elizabeth Chadwick, Margaret George, Rosemary Sutcliff, Juliet Mariller and Elizabeth Goudge.

What is your favorite quote?
"Tomorrow is another day"

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
The Paris of Ernest Hemingway, as described in PARIS WIFE.

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
Every person who writes to sell a book must set themselves to learn the craft of writing properly, and realize that this is a life-long process.

Are your books different than your personal favorite books by other authors?
I like to read about subversive women, and that is what I like to write about too. So no, I think the books I try to write are like my personal favorites.

What led you to writing in this genre?
I read historical novels as a child, and have continued to read them throughout my life. It is a natural fit for me.

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
Dreaming about characters and the difficulties they get themselves into.

Least favorite part of the writing process?
I love writing, so don't really have a least favorite part.

What are you currently working on?
A novel set in Sicily in the early middle ages.

Where readers can find you?

LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
No. I enjoyed answering your questions. Thank you for interviewing me.

No comments:

Popular Posts