I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Poison Eaters

Author: Holly Black
Series: ---
Publisher: Big Mouth House
Publication Date: February 23, 2011
How Received: Borrowed
Rate: 5


Summary: In this collection of short stories, all save two have been previously published in various similarly named high-profile fantasy anthologies: The Restless Dead (2007), The Faery Reel (2007), and The Eternal Kiss (2009). Here, they’re brought together to present a multifaceted view of one of YA-dom’s most prominent urban fantasists. Cults of immortality seekers clamor to get bitten by vampires in “The Coldest Girl in Coldtown,” and a teenager makes a chilling sacrifice to save a neighbor and the boy she thinks she loves. Ever mindful that forbidden romance is a natural waltzing partner with dark fantasy, Black slips a sly coming-out element into “In Vodka Veritas,” where a secret private-school sect turns prom night into a Dionysian frenzy. To close out the volume, Black performs a neat bit of tinkering with structure in the title story, as a king reveals to his son and would-be poisoner an ingenious and surreal plot to exact revenge through a trio of venomous-to-the-touch sisters.


My thoughts:
I love Holly Black's work, and I always have high expectations for her stories. The Poison Eaters didn't disappoint. Ranging from stories about a vampire epidemic to revisiting the characters from her beloved Modern Faerie Tale series, Black has created a beautiful compilation of writing that moves very smoothly. The novel is impossible to put down; I read it in one sitting. The characters were very realistic and easy to relate to- I felt as if I was the one having to deal with crazy paranormal creatures and circumstances. Full of adventure and drama, The Poison Eaters is a stunning read, and I highly recommend it.
5/5
~Moujnir

4 comments:

Lori M. Lee said...

Definitely gotta pick this one up. Holly Black is one of my favorite writers. Thanks for the review!

Moujnir23 said...

Holly Black is one of my favorite writers too!!! Thank YOU for reading the review! I hope you enjoy the book. :)

Denise Z said...

I have just recently found Holly Black and thank you for sharing about more of her work.

Moujnir23 said...

Denise, you're very welcome!!!If you're looking for good fantasy mixed in with crazy teen love, Holly Black is the author for you. I hope you enjoy her books!!!!

Popular Posts