I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Friday, May 20, 2011

Interview with Georgia Banks-Martin

Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Georgia, would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
Of course! I was born in Lincoln Park, MI, and I currently live in Montgomery, AL. I earned my M.F.A. at Queens University of Charlotte.  My current collection of poetry, Rhapsody for Lessons Learned or Remembered may be ordered from any local bookstore or on Amazon.com. To read sample poems, please visit my webpage: http://georgiabanksmartin.com. In December 2010 I became the editor of New Mirage Journal, a poetry magazine that features the work of writers from around the world. For a closer look, please visit the New Mirage Journal webpage:http://newmiragejournal.com.
What is your favorite Quote?
The last three years have brought about a lot of change for me; my M.F.A was conferred in January 2009, later that year my mother passed away, I began work on my MA/Ph.D. in Mythological Studies shortly after that, I published my poetry collection, I became the editor of New Mirage Journal, and my national readings of my work have increased in frequency. So I especially appreciated the following quote a friend posted on her Facebook page: "Time is a dressmaker specializing in alterations." --Faith Baldwin,
If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
Gosh, I’m not sure, but it would have to be one from the Harry Potter series.
What is the one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
Every writer must have patience and determination. The road to building a career as a successful novelist or poet takes time, and even after the first book is published, a writer may not be making great money (if any at all!) There will be a lot of rejection and criticism from both peers and critics; a writer must be able to take this criticism, evaluate it for its value, use it to improve his or her writing, and persevere until his or her goals are reached.
Favorite Poet?
This is a hard question, because I have several favorite poets: Lucille Clifton, Natasha Tretheway,Charles Simic, and Billie Collins.
Favorite Poem?
“won’t you celebrate with me” by Lucille Clifton
What inspires you the most when you write?
Most of my recent poems are collages inspired by art, nature, and personal experience. When I was high school, the popular advice given to students enrolled in creative writing classes was “write about what you know.” I still subscribe to that advice today, because it allows me to create poems that are personal and that relate to a large number of people.
What are you most excited about this year?
I’m most excited about promoting my new book, Rhapsody for Lessons Learned or Remembered.  The publication of my book allows me great opportunities to travel, to engage in interviews, and to meet other writers.
Funniest question you have ever been asked?
I gave an interview a few months ago and was asked, “What is in your refrigerator?”
LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
How are social networking and book blogs, like Jagged Edge, helping you to promote your writing?
When I was working on my M.F.A., I began to join writer’s listservs, writers groups, Good Reads, and online workshops, hoping to build a network that might help me establish myself as a writer and provide me with contact information for publishers, editors, poetry festival organizers, and tips for improving my presentation. 
When I learned Rhapsody for Lessons Learned or Remembered was going to be published, I began a Facebook fan page to display information about me, and to post my collection of poetry. Recently, I came across the Book Blogs webpages and learned about a company called Nurture Your Books, which I am now working with to create a virtual book tour beginning on July 18, 2011. This is exciting for me, because there is no more effective way authors can connect directly with readers. Book bloggers have followers who read and purchase books, so it makes sense to include book blogging sites in my promotion of my book.
Thanks again for being here!

No comments:

Popular Posts