I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Interview with Michele Richards

Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Michele, would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
Talking about myself has always been hard for me. I am a mother of two pre-teen girls, Danielle and Virginia. I’ve been with my husband, Maurice for almost twenty-five years. I am a co-leader to a Girl Scout troop. If I am not writing, I am working in my daughter’s school.

What lead you to writing Mocked by Destiny?
Mocked by Destiny had a very humble beginning. Sitting on the base at Virginia Beach watching the Navy Seals doing their training, I watched my younger cousins playing with their toddlers. A story took hold and I grabbed my daughter’s notebook and started writing it. By the time I got home, it was half written.

Is there a lesson readers should get from this book?
The whole reason behind this book was to show teens that it’s not glamorous to be a kid having a kid. Too many teens are having children without growing up and enjoying their lives first. This is a story about love, sacrifice and growing up before it’s time.

What inspired you to write?
My godson, Kevin suggested I write my own stories since I complained too much about the books I’d read. And, yes, that includes the Twilight Saga. I always enjoyed writing, so I took his suggestion and did.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
Danielle Steele mostly then J.K. Rowlings

Your favorite character?
It’s a tie between Harry Potter and Edward Cullen.

What is your favorite Quote?
No fate but what we make”

What is one book everyone should read?
This is a very tough question for me. There are so many great books out there and picking just one is impossible.

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
Again it’s a tie between the Harry Potter series and the Twilight series. I am a big science fiction fan. I would love to live in either world.

What is the one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
A Dictionary / Thesaurus. Research was very involved. I had to know every kind of laugh, speech, and even ways to walk.

Are your books different to your personal favorite books by other authors?
No, not really. I love romances.

What lead you to writing in this genre?
The subject matter. It wouldn’t be read by teens it was in another genre.

What inspires you the most when you write?
Music really sets my tone. If I am listening to something up beat then I tend to write an upbeat chapter. Same goes for slow and romantic songs. Location is another factor.

How long does it normally take you to write a book?
Eight to twelve weeks. I average 3-5 chapters a week.

What are you most excited about this year?
Going to the NY Indies Book Event as an author.

What book do you wish to see come out as a movie?
Out of my books - My new Science fiction series Parasouls. From others authors – Convergence from the Children of Creation series by J.D. Watts. I love angel movies!

Funniest question you have ever been asked?
My kids asked if since I published my book if that made them famous.

What happened while writing one of your books that you did not expect?
The whole buzz around Mocked by Destiny. I never expected for the local paper and TV to want to talk about it. It just kind of surprised me I guess.

LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
What are you working on currently? When is your next book due out?

Thanks again for being here!

2 comments:

Melanie Montgomery said...

I loved reading this, liked how you added that last question.
Be sure to check out my blog for a upcoming interview with Aimee Carter, author of The Goddess Test!

clarkmurdock.blogspot.com

Girl Who Reads said...

Great interview. Michele has a Kickstarter project that ends this weekend. She's trying to raise money to have a table at the Boston Book Festival. If anyone would like to be a backer visit her page http://kck.st/kcVp4c. There are some great rewards.

Popular Posts