I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Interview with Anya Millar

Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Thank you for having me.

Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
My name is Áine Pauline Massie and I am originally from Florida. I now live in Wisconsin where I work on my House Millar series full time while raising four children (the term herding cats comes to mind). My major in College was Childhood Education specializing in ages 0-5, with a minor study in Deaf Culture/ASL. I am also a Wiccan priestess dedicated to the gods, family, and love.
When I can escape from my children and books, I enjoy ... oh yes, reading, playing, ritual, a good cappuccino, and working with my healing stones. My favs are – blue, green, and strawberry cheesecake.
My first published work came in high school where I was part of a writing and drama group. But, I’ve been reading the likes of Shakespeare and Poe since late elementary school and enjoy most forms of fiction. Blood’s Voice has been a long time in coming - June 2011 for it’s eBook version and July 2011 for print.

What inspired you to write?
I have always had a love of reading and writing. I don’t honestly know how to answer as I have always written. It might have been childish or angry or incomplete but the pen and keys have always been great friends of mine. But I have always had stories bouncing around in my head and one day one of my kids asked why I didn’t write them down for everyone to read.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
Oh goodness! I don't read authors so much as books. Stephen King, Anne Rice, J.K. Rowling, Jane Austen, Terry Pratchett, Peirs Anthony, Mary Higgans Clark, William Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, Tolkien, Isaac Asimov, CS Lewis, Terry Goodkind, and too many others to even think of much less name.

What is your favorite Quote? Why is it your favorite?
I have two favorites actually. They are both from the Princess Bride. I have always loved the insane logic behind the first and the second is just so telling of reality. Most of my friends quote the second as a matter of course.

Westley: I told you I would always come for you. Why didn't you wait for me?
Buttercup: Well... you were dead.

Buttercup: You mock my pain.
Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
It’s probably considered cheesy but I would love to jump into the world of Hogwarts and Harry Potter. Even with all the wickedness it is just such a rich and wondrous world that still leaves all the fun mundane things at your fingertips as well.

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
Courage. The courage to allow your mind to wander and talk back. There is nothing so stifling as trying to force your characters to fit your idea of what they should be. It’s like trying to do the same with a teen. Not. Gonna. Happen.

Are your books different to your personal favorite books by other authors?
Oh very. While I do love PNR my stories are rather different from the start. My key vampire has no memory, refuses to kill humans, and well… you’ll just have to read Blood’s Voice to find all the differences. Also, I don’t write graphic violence, death, or sex scenes. If your mind can’t follow through then it’s probably something you don’t truly want to feel.

What led you to writing in this genre?
Simple, I write what I like to read. As a life-long reader, I have always had a particular fascination with vampires, mythology, and the unusual. Paranormal stories have always been a passion of mine and when I decided to let the characters trying to tell their stories out they were, of course, PNR.

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
My favorite part would be the freedom to create.

Least favorite part of the writing process?
Waking up in the middle of the night because I just had an idea for the story. I don’t sleep the greatest as it is so that totally throws me off. I can never seem to get back to sleep.

What are you currently working on?
Currently I am working on Blood Bound, the follow up to Blood’s Voice. Here’s the blurb for it in fact.

How many ways can a hearts true love be shared? After poisoning, near death attacks, consummated passions, and possible insanity visit Anya, Nicholas, and Declán they embark on their future. Or at least they try to. Jealousy can be a pain, in more ways than one.

Can Anya protect her lovers, find peace within herself, and lead the House Millar? With her loves and guards, Nicholas and Declán, she sets out to do just that. If only life, eternal life, were that easy.

Come take a walk with our loving family and witness the strange turns and twists as life, love, and passions collide with greed, politics, and evil.

Where readers can find you?
You can always email me at anya.millar@gmail.com. I love to hear from my fans! I’m also on Twitter @AnyaMillar. You can also drop by the official House Millar site at http://housemillar.host56.com for all the news and info about upcoming projects, releases, and other goodies.

LAST QUESTION:
Was their a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
The one I get so often privately is why is the book not written in American English – for the spellings? There are two main reasons for this. First – I don’t seem to naturally spell that way. I personally attribute that to my Grandy’s influence when I was little. He was Canadian and so to me color is spelled c-o-l-o-u-r and center is c-e-n-t-r-e. I also believe tacky means sticky not gaudy. And second – Anya is originally from Ireland. Even with her memory loss she still knows her languages, though she can’t remember learning them.

1 comment:

Anya Millar said...

Thank you for the lovely interview! I greatly appreciate the opportunity ti visit Jagged Edge.

Aine
House Millar - Blood's Voice

Popular Posts