I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Interview with Robert Roman


Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
Sure! My name is Robert, and I'm a Farmvilleoholic. It's been six hours since my last… Wait, wrong group. Ignore all that. OK, my name is Robert C Roman, but other than that you can ignore it. I'm the author of the Iron Angel and Artifice series, and I write action, adventure, romance, sci fi and fantasy.

What inspired you to write?
I'm not sure anything in particular inspired me, really. I've always been a storyteller, and then one year during National Novel Writing Month I wound up unemployed. I got some really nice compliments on my 50 KWords, and I've been writing since.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
Terry Pratchett. John Ringo. David Weber. Mary Janice Davidon. CJ Cherryh. David Brin.

What is your favorite Quote? Why is it your favorite?
The one on my website, although it wasn't *intended* the way I'm using it. The quote is "Finis vitae sed non finis amoris", and it means "The end of life is not the end of love". The author who wrote it didn't believe that. I do.

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
That's a tough one. I've read so many cool ones. Agatha H and the Airship City? Legacy of the Aldenata? Maybe even Soon I will be Invincible. Personally, I'd want the *ability* to jump into books. Super Why wastes it. Yeah, I've got little kids, why do you ask?

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
Read. I want to say 'have a marketing plan', but I've read too many marginal books lately. Some of them in print, which makes me super jealous. Read more, that your writing might be improved.

Are your books different to your personal favorite books by other authors?
I'd like to think that my books are comparable in quality to my favorite authors at my stage in their careers. Other than that, I'd say my books are different to anyone I've read, although some comparisons have been made. I mean, right now I'm writing about a werecamel. I don't think anyone out there has done that yet.

What lead you to writing in this genre?
I write in multiple genres. I write whatever genre the story calls for.

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
Actually writing. I'm a storyteller, and I love telling the story. Close behind, I think, is listening to someone reading my work.

Least favorite part of the writing process?
Promotion. I'm not really good at it, and I don't know how to do it right.

What are you currently working on?
Two things. One is a rewrite of the aforementioned werecamel book. The other is the third in my Iron Angel SteamPunk series.

Where readers can find you?
My website is www.robertcroman.com

LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
Yeah – "What's the most interesting thing that has happened to you as an author?" Since the convention last week, I can now honestly answer "Dakota Cassidy saying she loves the taste of my balls. I made Pfefferneuse for the convention. She immediately christened them 'ball cookies'. She liked them enough to eat them anyway.


No comments:

Popular Posts