I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Interview with Jeff Horton

Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
My name is Jeff Horton. I endeavor to write entertaining, relevant, and meaningful fiction with a Christian worldview, hoping to offer an alternative to the popular fiction that is so prevalent today. I have written three novels to date. My first novel, The Great Collapse, is an apocalyptic story about the end of civilization, which is brought about when a solar flare and en electromagnetic pulse knock out power worldwide. The Dark Age is a post-apocalyptic sequel to The Great Collapse, set five-hundred years in the future, when humanity is presented with an opportunity to climb out of the darkness and back into the light of civilization.

What inspired you to write?
I've always enjoyed reading, even when I was very young. I suppose that it was inevitable that when I sat down one day as an adult to explore other vocations, that writing came to mind. It turns out that I'm a marathoner, I enjoy writing novels.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
I still remember how much I enjoyed reading books like Tarzan of the Apes, by Edgar Rice Burroughs, and the various adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I suppose that they, along with more contemporary writers like Michael Crichton and Tom Clancy, have had a definite influence on my "voice" as a writer.

Your favorite character? Is it your character or a different authors?
That's really tough. I guess that my natural tendency would be to mention one of my own characters. I must admit, however, that I really liked Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. He was such a brilliant, yet complex and brooding character.

What is your favorite Quote? Why is it your favorite?
One of my favorites, among many, is, "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known", from Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities. I guess I have remembered it since High School because of the powerful and moving gesture made by Dickens's character, Sydney Carton, when he lays down his own life to save that of Charles Darnay.

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
Wow, that's a great question. The most obvious choice for me would, of course, be the Bible. After that, perhaps The Count of Monte Cristo, only after Dantes escapes and claims the fortune, of course!


What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
In my opinion, the one trait that every writer needs to have whether writing in fiction or non-fiction is imagination. Watching the story unfold in my mind as I write is one of the most exciting and rewarding aspects of writing a novel. That enthusiasm and excitement can be infectious, drawing the reader into the world you have carefully constructed.

Are your books different to your personal favorite books by other authors?
My books are both different and similar to books I've read from other offers. Different in respect to the apocalyptic nature of the stories, yet similar in regards to the traits of some of the main characters, including the spirit of self-sacrifice, the willingness to suffer and even to die for something that the character believes is worthy.

What lead you to writing in this genre?
I suppose that like so many, I have always been fascinated with futuristic thrillers and apocalyptic stories, which have always had a universal appeal. I also hope to convey to others through my writing something that I have learned in life; that despite all of the derogatory portrayals of Christians in film and in print, that they are often strong, decent people, with a lot to offer others, and society.

Where readers can find you?
Information about me and my novels can now be found in a variety of places on the Internet.

No comments:

Popular Posts