I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Monday, August 15, 2011

Interview with Kristine Cayne

Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?

Hi Kati! Thanks for inviting me to chat with you and your readers at Jagged Edge. I’m fascinated by the mysteries of human psychology—twisted secrets, deep-seated beliefs, out-of-control desires. When you add in high-stakes scenarios and real-world villains, you have a story worth writing, and reading. I live in the Pacific Northwest, thriving on the mix of cultures, languages, religions and ideologies. When I’m not writing, I’m people-watching, imagining entire life stories, and inventing all sorts of danger for the unsuspecting heroes and heroines who cross my path.

Who's the most fun character to write in your book(s)?
I’ve had a lot of fun writing all my characters. Even the ones I think are going to be more reserved come up with great lines! Although I don’t have one character that I love more than the rest, I love writing tough male characters. There’s just something so freeing about their no-holds-barred, filter-free view of the world. They might not say everything they want but they certainly think it and as a writer, I have a front row seat inside their brains.

What inspired you to write?
As a child, my favorite subject at school was creative writing. As I grew older, school-based writing became more technical, less creative. And my muse left me. But in my heart, I always dreamed of being a writer. Six or so years ago, I decided to take a creative writing class at the local college and things snowballed from there.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
Various writers have influenced me over the years. The one that stands out most is Cherry Adair. Hers were the first romantic suspense books I ever read. At that point, I realized that suspense didn’t have to be about horror or serial killers. In later years, I met Cherry in person and now we are part of a plotting group with several other remarkable women. She’s a wonderful friend and mentor.

What is your favorite Quote? Why is it your favorite?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Dilbert
Dilbert isn’t usually the deepest thinker and his quotes usually have more to do with the corporate world than with writing. But I think this one is perfect for writers. You have to let yourself go, take chances with your writing. Some of what you come up with will be awesome, the rest will be crap. It’s up to you to decide which is which.

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
Most of the books I read have worlds that are way too scary for me to want to live in them. That being said, I wouldn’t mind living in the Shire (Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings). At least there I wouldn’t be the shortest person around!

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
Every writer needs to write! It’s great to have a good idea, or to have great prose but if you don’t sit down and actually put it all together, you’ve got nothing.

Are your books different to your personal favorite books by other authors?
In some ways, they are the same, in others different. I write suspense/romantic suspense but I read a lot of paranormal. I’ve rarely read a good paranormal that didn’t have a lot of suspense, though. So what if the characters are mythical beings instead of everyday heroes? In the end, it’s all fantasy. 

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
Plotting. As I mentioned earlier, I plot as part of a plotting group. We get together, eat, drink, and have a blast all while brainstorming ideas, plot points and twists. Writing the first draft is also one of my favorite parts. But it’s also really difficult. Work and family often get in the way of creativity. There are times when you just can’t focus and you struggle to get a scene right, or to come up with an imaginative twist that turns your story on its head. But when I get in the “zone” and words are spilling from my fingertips it’s magical. There’s no better high.

Least favorite part of the writing process?
Editing. It’s a long, painstaking process. But when you see how much better and tighter the story becomes, it’s exhilarating.

What are you currently working on?
I’m working on a four-book series, beginning with Obsession, in which my heroes and heroines are pitted against each other by their radically opposing life experiences. By overcoming their differences and finding common ground, they triumph over their enemies and find true happiness in each other’s arms.

Where readers can find you?
Readers can find me on Facebook and Twitter. I’d also love to have them stop by my website (www.kristinecayne.com) and my blog (http://blog.kristinecayne.com).

No comments:

Popular Posts