I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Interview: Dan O'Brien


Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
I am a full-time graduate student and writer. Writing has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember. I used to want to write plays, and then it became films. I realized my real love was writing characters and plot, so I pursued writing. I currently have four novels out and four more poised for release. I live in California, though I was born on the east coast.

What inspired you to write?
I am just fascinated with the human condition and writing allows me to covet that interest. When I was very young, I would create these intricate stories and plays that I would perform for my family. The joy of that feeling stuck with me.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
There are many authors on that list, but it would include: Hemmingway, McCarthy, Uris, Steinbeck, London, Asimov, Hugo, Heinlein, Adams, Tolkien, Dick, Herbert, Martin, Jordan, and many, many more.

What is your favorite Quote? Why is it your favorite?
Be the change you want to see in this world.” –Mahatma Ghandi

That quote has always resonated with me because of the insistence on becoming the best possible version of yourself. Instead of looking out upon the world and demanding something of it, demand something great of yourself.

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R. R. Martin

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
A writer should certainly have a sense of plot, and the ability to bring their characters to life, among other things. Characters need to come alive and move through the story as if they were speaking directly to the writer.

Are your books different to your personal favorite books by other authors?
I would like to think I bring a unique voice to the table, but certainly the influence of great authors is present in my novels. Recently, I have found that my novels are moving beyond the boundaries of what I have read into new, strange territories.

What lead you to writing in this genre?
I write in a variety of genres. The novels I write are generally about something that struck me at a particular time and place. I know the power and pricelessness in writing one genre, but building a brand in a particular genre has never appealed to me. I love all kinds of books, and my writing reflects that.

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
I would say listening to the narrative that unfolds as I begin to write. Often, I have a well-laid plan of how I think the story will go. This outline changes at a moment’s notice as the characters come alive and go where they will.

Least favorite part of the writing process?
I can never seem to find as much time as I would like to write being a full-time student and working. I hope to someday make writing my sole focus, so I can devote all of my time to it.

What are you currently working on?
I am currently working on some sequels; Drained, the next novel in the Lauren Westlake mysteries and a few new novels. I hope to have a couple more novels out in 2012.

Where readers can find you?

I try to maintain a pretty consistent presence on the net, but here are a few of the places readers can find me:

Twitter: @AuthorDanOBrien


LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?

There are probably a lot of questions I would have loved to answer. If readers are interested in getting to know me any better, or have me answer some questions, just find me on one of the sites listed above!

No comments:

Popular Posts