I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Interview with Jeannie Barber


Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?

Thank you so much for this great opportunity and interview. I’m Jeannie Faulkner Barber, author, wife, mother, and grandmother.

I have to say there are two passions in my life: writing and drag racing. I even met my husband, Monte, at the dragstrip and can boast I’ve won the most trophies and cash at the pulse-pounding sport.

I’m a member and officer of the East Texas Writers Association (ETWA), the North East Texas Writers Organization (NETWO), and a 2007 and 2011 Winner of NaNoWriMo.

What inspired you to write?

My over-active, vivid imagination has always given me such personal entertainment. I started writing poetry in grade school and eventually advanced to song lyrics in college. English was my favorite class and having to compose a ‘dreaded’ thesis or book report never seemed to be a chore to me. I feel that writing is a great spontaneous fashion of expression. Progressing into the ‘author world’ is a personal goal and allows me to leave a bit of legacy for my kids and grandkids.

What authors influenced you as a writer?

It would be joyful to say the great author William Faulkner influenced me because I’ve been told our family has some lineage. However, the truth is contemporary authors, such as Sandra Brown and Cheryl Norman, brought more impact to my writing style journey. Cheryl also has a website, The Grammar Cop, and I cordially invite everyone to partake of the free guidance and help.

What is your favorite quote?

I love this one by Eleanor Roosevelt –I could not at any age be content to take my place in a corner by the fireside and simply look on. Those words define me. As mentioned, my ‘other’ passion is drag racing, but I have such a great desire to zip line, too. Hopefully, one day I’ll have the time and opportunity. My husband and I stay so busy doing things together, not to mention we have 9 grandkids!

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?

What a great question. I’m co-authoring a fantasy trilogy, Destiny Never Sleeps. The first book is Quest of the Two Queens and the brainchild of author Bernadette Thompson Martin. Four elderly friends, Kat, Tippy, Randy, and Jay set sail from Miami to scatter the ashes of Kat’s deceased husband. When a storm appears from a clear blue sky, they find their large vessel uncontrollably headed through a rainbow portal. The new realm they encounter is called Bowlandria…where they become youthful again. I would love to travel to Bowlandria!

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?

To me, every writer needs to join a writer’s group. I belong to several in my area. Through one of them, East Texas Writers Association, we started a critique group which consisted of 4-5 individuals. We emailed each other a chapter or 10-12 pages to be checked and then met at least once a month, twice if possible. Please don’t depend on your family or close friends to edit/critique your work. An unbiased set of eyes will enable you to grow and hone your craft. If budget allows, you might decide to get involved in a writing class. If not, a small crit group is an excellent learning tool. I garnered a lot of information from the online organizations, as well, but having the one-on-one opportunity will advance your abilities quicker.

Are your books different than your personal favorite books by other authors?

Most of my works are somewhat similar to my personal favorites. Regardless of the genre though, I want my readers to be able to identify with the characters as if they were a neighbor, co-worker, or even an enemy.

Currently, I have out a co-authored contemporary suspense, Scent of Double Deception, and here’s a short blurb.

Two women, two identities, one lie.
Who can dare to become another personality? Scent of Double Deception dips into the minds of the two heroines’ alter-egos. Although successful business owners, Clair Matthews and Kelley Malone yearn for romance and a genuine relationship with the right man. However, an ocean away, ruthless Linford Thurlow sets in motion a decade’s old plan to find the heir to his French perfumery in Paris. Six people’s lives interlace through conflict and romance when an innocent ‘game’ reveals espionage, deceit, and unmitigated power. Who, if any, will succumb to a murderous plot of betrayal? 

It is now on Kindle and Nook, as well.


What led you to writing in this genre?

I love intrigue and believe a good suspense can be altered to fit any genre. You’ll see it in Scent of Double Deception, as well as in Destiny Never Sleeps which are different genres, but both take the reader through twists and turns. Writing fiction is just pure fun because the author has the ability to manipulate the plot in a million different directions.

What is your favorite part of the writing process?

Oh gosh, I love the editing process. After I have my story completed and start to edit is when my characters truly come to life. To tighten and polish the story is like the icing on the cake, per se. The base of the story is done, now comes the allurement.

Least favorite part of the writing process?

Funny as it might sound, I get impatient with myself because the hardest part is getting the story out of my head. I’m incredibly fast on the keyboard, but when my muse gets going, I often struggle to get to words into the document as quick as I’d like. Maybe I should invest in an ‘audio’ system of sorts. LOL!


What are you currently working on?

As I talked about previously, the fantasy trilogy, Destiny Never Sleeps is in full swing. Also, my 2007 NaNoWriMo manuscript developed into Taste of Fire, my newest suspense scheduled to debut early this year. My target date is Valentine’s Day, but that all depends on my editor/publisher, Don A. Martinez who owns Desert Coyote Productions. I believe the title screams mystery!

Here is a quick blurb:
A fiery car crash leaves a disfigured arm on the young girl occupant. Supposedly abandoned by her mother, feisty Terri Neal is raised by her father, Fire Captain, Chuck Neal. Teased by childhood peers over the hideous scar, she is soothed by his explanation, “The flames licked your arm, but when it tasted you it knew you were special and it was afraid.”

Out of her love and admiration for this valiant man, Terri joins the ranks and becomes a dedicated and top-notch firefighter. Following his shadowy death in a mysterious building fire, Chuck’s image appears to his daughter and sets Terri on a quest to locate her biological parents. This mundane task propels her down a path of intrigue, romance, and peril. As light begins to flow into her life, out of the darkness appears a death-like stalker, and someone will succumb to the insatiable Taste of Fire.


Where readers can find you?

I am on several sites: LinkedIn, Twitter, Stumble, DVW Books, Chique Authors, Book Blogs, to mention a few.

Here is myFacebook Fan Page and would be very grateful if you'd stop by and 'like' it.

Also, I am The Pen Temptress. My blog is: https://www.jeanniefaulknerbarber.blogspot.com
Please stop by and check it out. Be sure to let me know if I can return the favor!


My Amazon Author Page.

Also, I would like to invite everyone to check out Desert Coyote Productions website.

I can’t forget to include my own website,




LAST QUESTION:

Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?

Well, I’ve been asked before what type of writing style do I have. Some people like to do an outline or a storyboard for their plot and/or characters. I am more of what you would call a ‘panster’. The majority of the story and characters develop as I write. I see the scenes in my mind, so to speak. So in essence, I write by the seat of my pants. The plot begins with a little ripple and eventually flows like a tidal wave.

This has been so much fun, and I’m very honored to be interviewed for Jagged Edge!

Jeannie Faulkner Barber
Scent of Double Deception out now!
Taste of Fire – early 2012
Destiny Never Sleeps-Quest of the Two Queens – Spring 2012
Desert Coyote Productions

No comments:

Popular Posts