I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Interview: E. Joyce Moore


Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself I am a former corporate manager, now fully devoted to the arts, specifically visual arts and writing. I am a writer in several genres, author, freelance fine art curator, advocate for arts and art in education.

What inspired you to write? I’m inspired by many things, many people. I have been writing, creating since I was a child. I observe and listen, then, I create. Every poem I’ve written has a story behind it.

What authors influenced you as a writer? As a child I was an avid reader. Mary Stewart comes to mind as the author I read the most as a child. I am a fan of an eclectic group of writers, some known, some yet to be discovered. I love the work of Sue Grafton, the original James Patterson writings – before he franchised his name to other writers –Walter Mosley, some of John Grisham, Maya Angelou, Timothy Stelly Sr.’s poetry and fiction, the poetry of Tzynya Pinchback and Cambridge Jenkins just off the top of my head.

What is your favorite quote? Mmmm, that’s really a hard question. I love a good quote. One of my favorite people to quote is Kerry E. Wagner. I suppose my most favorite one at the moment is “Be the change you want to see in the world.” – Mahatma Ghandi.

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do? Be honest with yourself and open to good feedback when you ask for it from objective sources.

Are your books different than your personal favorite books by other authors? Yes. I realize even the most popular writers ultimately follow a formula. I want my writing to be entertaining, yet not follow the expected path. I want to leave the reader thinking.

What led you to writing in this genre? I wrote a non-fiction ‘SHIPS, that was just published in November by All Things That Matter Press, a small publisher in Maine. They also published my first book of poetry, Ramblings Through the Attic of Thought.
I am now focused on my first love, fiction.
What is your favorite part of the writing process? The mystery of the creation of the actual story. Sometimes I don’t know where the story is taking me until I get there and look back at the road it’s travelled. Both exciting and strangely scary.

Least favorite part of the writing process? Stopping and re-starting the actual writing process. Having to refocus on the writing and defocus on life’s realities.

What are you currently working on?
I actually have two books in the writing process, one is a fact-based drama about a family in Alabama (they found me and asked that I write their story) whose monstrous antagonist is serving consecutive sentences in prison. The other is a dramatic mystery that I’d originally written as a short story but was encouraged to expand into a novel. Ironically, I wrote the screenplay for it first.


LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
Well, I do have an article that will be included in the February 5, 2012 New York Times in an insert publication on the Harlem Fine Arts Show. I’m excited about that. I’m also very excited about my screenplay and those who are interested, if there’s any updates about that, I will be posting them on Facebook and Twitter. My twitter address is http://twitter.com/E_Joyce .

No comments:

Popular Posts