I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Interview: Judith Marshall


Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
I am a human resources professional, born and raised in Northern California. I have two children, no pets, and a wonderful husband. Some say I’m outrageous, but I say I just do and say things other people think.

What inspired you to write?
I always knew I wanted to write a novel some day, but it wasn’t until a friend sent me the novel “The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood,” that I realized it was time. I wasn’t getting any younger and I wasn’t having much fun in my corporate 60-hour a week job. If I wanted to write a book, I needed to do it while I had a few good brain cells left.

What authors influenced you as a writer? I love Richard Russo’s style of writing.

What is your favorite Quote?
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, “Damn that was fun!”
- Anonymous

Why is it your favorite? It’s my favorite because it exemplifies my relationship with my girlfriends. We’ve never been thrown in jail yet, but there’s still the possibility.

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
Eat, Love, Pray.” I didn’t like the book, but what woman wouldn’t like to have the financial means to pick up and travel the world to search for the meaning of life. Totally unrealistic, but alluring.

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do? Confidence

Are your books different to your personal favorite books by other authors? Yes. I haven’t read much women’s fiction that I like. Most of it is too sappy for me.

What lead you to writing in this genre? I was tired of reading chicklit. I wanted to write a story about mature women in their late 50s who have survived real life traumas.

What is your favorite part of the writing process? The first draft. I love the creative process.

Least favorite part of the writing process? Plotting.

What are you currently working on? While anxiously waiting to read the screenplay of “Husbands May Come and Go but Friends are Forever,” I’m putting the finishing touches on my second novel, “Staying Afloat,” the story of a devoted stay-at-home wife and mother who morphs into a sex-starved adulteress.

Where readers can find you? www.judithmarshall.net

LAST QUESTION:
Was their a question you wish I would have asked but didn't? Nope!

No comments:

Popular Posts