I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Interview: Loukia Borrell


Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself? Sure. My name is Loukia Borrell. I was born in Toledo, Ohio, and was raised in Virginia. I was a journalist for about 20 years and "Raping Aphrodite" is my first book. I am married and have three children.
 
What inspired you to write? I have always been interested in reading and writing. I knew in middle school that English was a strong subject for me and that turned out to be true in high school and later in college, where I joined the student newspaper staff. From there, I worked for newspapers and magazines.
 
What authors influenced you as a writer? I don't really think I was influenced by any particular writer, because I have read authors from different genres and liked their books. In my teens, I read a lot of the classics by Hemingway, Dickens, Salinger, John Knowles, and the Bronte sisters. Later, my interest turned to blockbusters, by Sidney Sheldon and Jackie Collins. I also read biographies and they inspire me, because you find out the challenges people face, things you don't hear about until someone writes a book.      
 
What is your favorite quote? I tried to think if I have one, and I don't. I think people rely on quotes to help them through hard times. I use my personal resolve and just tell myself to press on, but no particular quote comes to mind.
 
If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be? The Bible.
 
What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do? An imagination. In fiction, you have to be able to create unlikely scenarios and make them seem believable.
 
Are your books different than your personal favorite books by other authors? I think my book is original in that it visits Cyprus during a time when the island was forcefully divided. I have a link to that time - both of my parents were born in Cyprus and my maternal grandparents vanished when Turkey invaded. Those personal elements make "Raping Aphrodite" different in subject matter, but the book has typical cliffhanger elements seen in fiction books, or films for that matter.  
 
What led you to writing in this genre? "Raping Aphrodite" is fiction, but part of the book is based on the invasion of Cyprus by Turkey in 1974. Being Cypriot-American, I felt a personal need to address Cypriot history, so this book seemed natural to me.
 
 What is your favorite part of the writing process? Figuring out what my characters are going to do next.
 
Least favorite part of the writing process? Going back, once the writing is finished, and correcting mistakes and editing. It takes a long time and a lot of concentration. You would think that after all the years I have been writing, I wouldn't have typos or difficulty figuring out how to say something, but that is not true. I had the same doubts and had to work as hard. There were days I felt like I had never put a word down on paper my entire life.   
What are you currently working on? I am busy doing interviews like this one and finding other ways to get out the word about "Raping Aphrodite." I hope to begin writing the prequel this year.
 
Where readers can find you? I am on Twitter at @LoukiaBorrell, on Goodreads and Book Blogs. My book is available for purchase as an ebook on Amazon.com and as a Nook Book at barnesandnoble.com. "Raping Aphrodite" should be out as a paperback later this year.
 
LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't? No. You covered things nicely. Thanks for having me as a guest.  

No comments:

Popular Posts