I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Monday, January 16, 2012

Review: Croak by Gina Damico


Title: Croak
Author: Gina Damico
Publisher: Graphia
Release Date: March 20, 2012
Received: For Review
Age Group: Ages 12 and up
Challenge: DAC, YA Fantasy
Rate: 5

Summary: Fed up with her wild behavior, sixteen-year-old Lex's parents ship her off to upstate New York to live with her Uncle Mort for the summer, hoping that a few months of dirty farm work will whip her back into shape. But Uncle Mort’s true occupation is much dirtier than that of shoveling manure.
     He’s a Grim Reaper. And he’s going to teach Lex the family business.
     She quickly assimilates into the peculiar world of Croak, a town populated by reapers who deliver souls from this life to the next. But Lex can't stop her desire for justice—or is it vengeance?—whenever she’s forced to kill a murder victim, craving to stop the attackers before they can strike again. Will she ditch Croak and go rogue with her reaper skills?


Review: I like how the author didn't try to mess with the after life thing. She didn't mention if there was a God or not. In this book the Dead didn't tell if there was or not. I like that she didn't try to press her belief's on us like some people do. She let that fact go and just focused on the story itself. Can't forget the character's, the are amazing. From the history obsessed history teacher/ mother who names her children after battles to the sport's obsessed dad. From the brilliant twin sister to the once  brilliant  now angry other twin. From the normal teenager's to those that are... Not so normal. In a way I connected with Lex's anger, but what teenager doesn't? This book makes me think a lot about life and death, What is and what can be. Croak is well written and not overly descriptive. There are a few funny part's I wish I could tell you. Let me just say it totally explains all the missing socks. I love this book it has funny part that make you laugh out loud and, sad part's that make you cry. Cute part's that just make you say "awee" and those part's where you just share in Lex's anger.  When I got to  the end I yelled out "Come on!" and Thank fully I wasn't in a public place. Total Cliffhanger! I wanted the next book right away. Is it published yet? How about now? Mark my words this series will be Huge! The bad guy will shock you, the last death will drop you and, the end will have you begging for more. 2012 is looking very bright for all the Debut Author's I have yet to find one I don't absolutely love. Knock on wood *knock knock* 

No comments:

Popular Posts