I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Friday, January 13, 2012

Interview with Andrea Pearson

Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?

Sure! My name is Andrea Pearson, and I write middle grade/young adult fantasy and romance. :-) I graduated from Brigham Young University last year with a degree in Communications Disorders. In the last year, three of my books have been published and I got married to the most awesomest, coolest man ever. :-) It’s been a great year!

What inspired you to write? 
While I was serving a mission for my church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), I discovered two wonderful outlets for expressing emotions: my journal and writing home to my family. I found a love for words and their meanings, especially while studying the Spanish language. :-)

What authors influenced you as a writer?
I know he's not in my writing "genre," but Michael Crichton’s books are the first to come to mind. He's been one of my favorite authors for a long time. He really knew how to grip his readers. And I love logical, scientific type books—he excels at that. I want my books to have that sort of concise, clear, and logical writing. Next, Harry Potter and Fablehaven—I love the tone set in these books.

What is your favorite Quote? Why is it your favorite? “If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten,
Either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing.”
- Benjamin Franklin

I like it because it helps me put my life into perspective. I don’t want to live a boring life, worried of failure. I want to live passionately. And I definitely want to write things worth reading. :-)

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
Oh, I really don’t know. I like books because of the challenges with which the characters are presented, the characters themselves and their relationships, not necessarily the world the author has come up with. But possibly, I’d choose Elantris, a book by Brandon Sanderson.

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
Get used to receiving negative and sometimes destructive criticism. We all will get it anyway – we might as well learn to let it roll off our shoulders. We can’t control what others say and do, and even the most negative criticism can turn out good for us. People buy books out of curiosity when they read bad reviews. Or it helps them become familiar with our name and the title, and even bad publicity is still free publicity. :-)

Are your books different to your personal favorite books by other authors?
In tone, they’re similar, but I wanted to make sure my books were original in content. Different creatures, different sets of magic, etc.

What lead you to writing in this genre?
Reading in it! I love middle grade/early YA fantasy. Harry Potter, Fablehaven, Percy Jackson. They’re my favorite books and I love writing those types.

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
All of it! For a while. Then “all of it” gets tedious, becomes my least favorite part, and I can’t wait for the next part of the process. :-) So far, the only thing I’ve not tired of is hearing what readers think. That’s still enjoyable.

Least favorite part of the writing process?
See the above question and answer. :-)

What are you currently working on?
August Fortress, Kilenya Series Book Three. Plus, I’m putting together an outline for another Kilenya Romance novella.

Where readers can find you?
Blog
Website
Facebook fan page
Facebook profile
Goodreads author page
Twitter

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Yay! Thanks for interviewing me! :-)

Popular Posts