I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Monday, January 30, 2012

Interview: Maggie Wilson


Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
My background is as a nurse and midwife with a 28 year career in the nursing field. I started writing my novels about 4 years ago and have continued to juggle working full time in nursing whilst writing. My first crime novel was published in 2010.

What inspired you to write?
I was inspired to write when I kept reading news stories about crimes within the nursing/medical profession. With a background in Nursing I wanted to raise awareness of crimes within this area and try to inspire change in nursing practice so that these crimes could never occur. Fiction is indeed sometimes stranger than fact - the fictional crime in Fallen Angel appears to have happened in 2011 within a hospital in the UK. This factual case is still ongoing.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
I was influenced primarily by Tess Gerritsen, who is a Doctor who then carved out a career as a writer. I thought, well, maybe I can make it as a writer too!
I have met many writers and draw inspiration and motivation from listening to them speak.

What is your favorite quote?
Be like a duck, be calm on top and paddle like mad underneath’

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
A writer needs the determination and motivation to complete the writing process and produce a novel that others want to read. They must also have believable characters that the reader can associate with, warm to and want to know what happens to them.

Are your books different than your personal favorite books by other authors?
I believe they are yes. I write about fictional crimes by members of the medical profession and try to write from different angels.

What led you to writing in this genre?
My background in Nursing led me to write within the crime genre with a medical influence. I also enjoy reading around the crime genre.

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
My favourite part of the writing process would have to be when I start writing a book. Putting all the ideas together and beginning my journey with the characters.

Least favorite part of the writing process?
My least favourite part of the writing process is when I near the end of writing my book. Ideas are already forming for my next story and have to be put to the back of my mind so that I can concentrate on the tale in hand.

What are you currently working on?
I am working on my third novel, due to be published in 2013.
My first novel, Fallen Angel was published August 2010 and my second is due to be published March 2012
The three books are part of ‘The DS Hammond Investigations’ series.

Where readers can find you?
Facebook - Maggie Wilson Author.
Twitter - maggiewilson123
Goodreads – Maggie Wilson
Readers are also welcome to email me on info@maggiewilsonbooks.co.uk

No comments:

Popular Posts