I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Interview with M.C.V. Egan


Welcome to Jagged Edge! Thank you. I am M.C.V. Egan the Author of The Bridge of Deaths a paranormal, historical, mystery romance novel.

Would you like to tell us a little about yourself? My name is Catalina Egan. I am the author of The Bridge of Deaths which I published under the pen-name M.C.V. Egan in the summer of 2011. At half a century plus two I live in sunny south Florida, with my three guys. They are my husband Tom, my son Austin and my five-pound Chihuahua Taco. I am curious and love to laugh; I fill my life with a wide variety of interests and hobbies. I dabble a little in Astrology and love to cook; I enjoy reading and writing the most. I am originally from Mexico City, Mexico where I only spent my childhood. I have lived in various parts of the United States for a total of 34 years. I studied in Lyons France, and a five year ill-fated marriage to a Swede took me to Stockholm and Malmoe Sweden. Consequently I am fluent in four languages, Spanish, English, French and Swedish. I like joining groups targeting peace and pacifism; it would be wonderful to inherit a better world to those who follow.

What inspired you to write?
FATE! Any astrologer would say that a birth-chart with the moon in Gemini and the Sun in the tenth house of publishing it was fate. I feel an absolute need to communicate with anyone and everyone. As far as The Bridge of Deaths is concerned, from a very early age I became determined to solve the mystery of my grandfather’s death in faraway Denmark. I always knew I would write a book about it someday, well before I began to research in 1993.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
Many I hope! I know that when I find authors I like I read their work carefully and try to learn. I try to read all their work, and find it fascinating when the voice they write in changes or in some cases improves! Contemporary Americans I would say John Irving, Dan Brown and Clive Cussler of the Contemporary British, Susan Howatch, Nick Hornby, Jeffrey Archer, Ken Follett and so many, many others. I also read in other languages, although not as much, and admire numerous writers from very many countries such as Paolo Coelho from Brazil or Andre Gide from France…So, so very many! My all-time favorite would have to be W. Sommerset Maugham, when I get stuck, I try to write him letters…and imagine what he would answer if he were alive. Frankly I imagine that at some level every book I have ever read has influenced me, perhaps as to how not to write, for the ones that I have not enjoyed but influenced never-the-less.

What is your favorite quote?
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known”. Carl Sagan (1934-1996)

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
After much thought I have come to the conclusion that it would very much depend on how I felt in any given day. So on those days where I feel playful, youthful and adventuresome it would be a toss-up between, Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. On the days when I feel somber and dark, perhaps Of Human Bondage and on days where I feel brave enough to save the world, or at least part of it; it would be The painted veil both by W. Sommerset Maugham.

What is at least one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
Hmmm, there are so many things that a writer must do, that I do not think there is at least one, but the most important one to me is to READ! A writer really needs to play with words and feel comfortable and ‘agile’ if you like, almost make a sport of becoming a wordsmith, a writer needs to observe and absorb in order to create. Perhaps a fantasy writer is cut from a different cloth and that would not apply, as they do create unusual and magical worlds for us to visit through their words, but the type of believable fiction I produce demands that one observe people and situations in order to create believable situations.

Are your books different than your personal favorite books by other authors?
I like to combine the paranormal with the historical, splash a little adventure and romance and give the reader a fun knowledgeable ride. Even when it is just about the story, I like to add history and I love when other writers do that, so as much as my book has been touted as “unusual” and “unique” I do believe that it has been influenced by those I admire.

What led you to writing in this genre?
Can I say FATE again? I believe that it was the various interests that I have developed through the years in Astrology, numerology, Palmistry and any of the other fun divination processes as well as a tremendous interest for all that is documented knowledge. Frankly before I wrote The Bridge of Deaths I was quite unaware that I am an incurable romantic!

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
Creating a suitable character or characters to tell the story. Creating the personality and getting to know the character myself in my mind’s eye, where they dance and live and forge a very intimate relationship with me.

Least favorite part of the writing process?
Editing or re-writes! Thinking that it is just so and realizing I lose the reader and need to tweak! Editing is most tedious!

What are you currently working on?
I am working with a co-author on fabulous little book which is far more paranormal than historical. With young adventuresome characters that I have grown very fond of.

Where readers can find you?
I have a website and please do come and visit at http://www.thebridgeofdeaths.com I am also on facebook under The Bridge of deaths or MCV EGAN, on Tumblr, Twitter @M_C_V_EGAN. My book is available on Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble as well as through the order page on my website.

LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
Had you not become a writer, what would you like to be?

1 comment:

M.C.V. EGAN said...

As per her request...
from
Beatriz Susana Buguna
I just tried again but would have to create an account with Google. Is there any way that you can post the below for me somehow on the blog and say it comes from me?

Although I have not finished reading The Bridge of Deaths (I am on Chapter 40 of 41) I love the book. It is very intriguing and the research that MCV Egan has done is thorough and very impressive to me. The book has also taught me events of history that I didn't know about before. Furthermore, the characters are so well written that I can actually identify in some way with each one of them. The book has made me feel as if I myself are with the characters -- there with them through the investigations, Skype calls, etc. I have mentioned and recommended The Bridge of Deaths to friends and co-workers in the hopes that they too can have an amazing journey while reading it like I did. All in all, a job well done by MCV Egan. It gets two thumbs up from me.
..

Popular Posts