I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Interview with K.A. Tucker


K.A.Tucker
Anathema (The Causal Enchantment Series, book 1)
Welcome to Jagged Edge!
would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
I am a wife and mother of two little curly-haired girls (I think I have a complex…my hair is poker-straight) who lives in Canada, works for one of those giant consumer-manufacturing companies, and has recently discovered a passion for writing YA fantasy novels.

What inspired you to write?
I am one of those readers who will forgo showers and food in order to carve through a book. I’m an addict when it comes to a good story. I wondered what it would be like to be on the other end– to be the one who created it. There had to be some way to harness the powers of my overactive imagination. I just needed an idea. Simple *eye roll*… and then, bam! An idea landed on me. At the time, I was three months’ into a year-long maternity leave with my second girl and needing something that didn’t involve diapers and bottles. My brain was about to go dormant. So I ran out and bought a secondhand laptop on Craigs list for $100. That same night, September 30th, 2009, I began to write. Never did I imagine I’d come out on the other side with a novel I absolutely adored and wanted the world to read. But, here I am.

What authors influenced you as a writer?
I believe that every single author I’ve ever read has influenced me in some way, large or small. However if I had to name someone, I’d have to say George R.R.Martin. The way he develops characters and conflict in tightly woven plots is beyond masterful. I’ve never seen an author do it better.

Your favorite character?
This question was so easy to answer, given I’m watching the HBO version religiously right now. Tyrion Lannister from Game of Thrones. He’s a ball of sympathy, anger, disgust, and humor, all rolled up into one witty little package.

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
Hmmm… good question. Definitely not any place without plumbing. I think I’d likely want to live in Charlaine Harris’s True Blood world. And my first stop would be to meet a certain sheriff at a certain fangbanger bar…

What is the one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
Perseverance to stay the course.
Writing a novel is tough. Allowing people to read what you wrote takes an enormous amount of courage. And, getting unfavorable feedback from people can be crippling. Every writer will receive this feedback. I’m waiting for mine, as jaded as that may sound. But I won’t let it sway me from my dream. I’ll read it, I’ll learn from it if there’s something to be gained, and I’ll move on to please the readers who love my style and my twisted imagination.

Are your books different to your personal favorite books by other authors?
I like an original story with dark undertones, hints of magic without going over-the-top technical, and a mixed bag of characters so I’d say that I strive to deliver that with my own book.

What lead you to writing in this genre?
It is such a fun genre to read and write. There’s so much room for creativity. The plots aren’t bogged down with reality and everyday mundane problems - unruly kids, bills, ex-spouses, careers, etc. The romance side is full of innocence. Writing ‘fade to black’ love scenes is ideal for me. I don’t think I could write the steamy love scenes of adult paranormal/urban fantasy novels like Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Underworld Series (great author, by the way). They make me squirm. I’d rather leave readers to their own level of imagination.

Where can readers find you?
My trusty iPhone 4 is never far away so I’m well-connected. Come find me in cyberworld…
Twitter - @kathleenatucker

LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
Do I think vampires are ‘so yesterday’?
No. Not by a long shot. As long as there are eager readers, vamp, witches, and all those other fantastic creatures will lurk within the pages of great books. And there are MANY eager readers, waiting for the next great vampire story.


No comments:

Popular Posts