I hope everyone has been finding their new favorite book!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Interview with SM Reine

Welcome to Jagged Edge!
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
I’m Sara Reine, and I write dark fantasy. My current book, Six Moon Summer, is about a young woman who gets bitten by a werewolf and has to face the challenges that brings.

What inspired you to write?
My mom’s a writer, so some of my earliest memories involve watching Animaniacs while she chatted with editors in New York on the phone. I was immersed in her writing experiences. I think it would have been strange if I’d turned out any other way!

What authors influenced you as a writer?
Joss Whedon is probably the most notable influence (even though he’s not an author). Stephen King and Edgar Allan Poe have had a pretty big hand in it, too.

Your favorite character?
The Mr. Darling/Captain Hook character. If you’ve ever seen the stage production, you would know that they usually cast the same actor to play both! If you read Peter Pan with that in mind, it makes the story much more interesting.

What is your favorite Quote?
Man is least himself when in his own person. Give him a mask and he’ll tell you the truth.” –Oscar Wilde
Doesn’t that summarize everything writers do perfectly?

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?
Ooh. I want to live in Tortall, which is the universe from Tamora Pierce’s books. I’d become a lady knight and talk to the animals!

What is the one thing that every writer needs to have or do?
Persistence. You can’t give up. It takes persistence to finish a first draft, to edit that first draft, and then to get it through the gauntlet of publishing.

Are your books different to your personal favorite books by other authors?
I think so. I’ve never read anything like Six Moon Summer before.

What lead you to writing in this genre?
I’ve always been a thoroughly flighty person. I daydream constantly. My mind naturally drifts to themes of dark fantasy, which is so much more interesting than thinking about traffic lights, the power bill, and my mortgage.

What inspires you the most when you write?
Good music. Specifically, emotionally evocative music. My spouse teases me for listening to “emo” music, but he’s a punk and he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

How long does it normally take you to write a book and go through the whole process?
A rough draft never takes more than 1-2 months to write, if you only count the days I actually work on it. The editing process usually takes at least as long as the first draft, although usually longer. Layout and design is a couple weeks, and promotion is a long haul of months and months. Books are definitely a full-time job.

What are you most excited about this year?
My upcoming releases! I have a steampunk novella, The 19 Dragons, coming out in about a month here. The sequel to Six Moon Summer, All Hallows Moon, will also be making an appearance this fall.

What book do you wish to see come out as a movie? (of course all authors want to see their movie on the big screen but what other book would you like to see?)
I want to see a good adaptation of Ender’s Game. I wish they had gotten to it fifteen years ago so Haley Joel Osment could have played Ender. They’ll have a tough time casting a child actor good enough now, I think.

Funniest question you have ever been asked?
Will you marry me?” Ha! Just kidding.

What happened while writing one of your books that you did not expect?
When I was writing Six Moon Summer, I found I could finish any project to which I set my mind, even if I wasn’t hugely inspired. My son was two weeks old when I started writing it, so I was only inspired to sleep at the time. Getting work done was tough. But I got it done, and in a timely fashion! That surprised the heck out of me.

Do you read the review when they are good and/or bad?
I read all my reviews. Fortunately, I haven’t gotten any “bad” reviews yet, but I’ve gotten a few that are lukewarm. It’s all subjective. Some people love Six Moon Summer, and, inevitably, other people don’t. A lukewarm review might be a sign I was targeting the wrong market, though, so it’s important to analyze it and adjust my strategy.

What's next in life for you?
As I mentioned above, I have The 19 Dragons coming out July 8th and All Hallows Moon in Fall 2011. I should conclude Rylie’s series in 2012, and I have another special project coming up that I think everyone will really enjoy!

LAST QUESTION:
Was there a question you wish I would have asked but didn't?
Nope! Great interview. Thanks for having me!


Don't forget to come back on the 25 for the big giveaway here's a sneak peek of all the books in the giveaway! http://klearsreviews.blogspot.com/p/armchair-bea-giveaway-list.html

No comments:

Popular Posts